Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is how the twin sails have worked out so far. I think they should be OK but I still have not been able to get on the water due to thunderstorms so can’t say for sure.

Front sail partially furled

The 2 sheet lines clear the mast and allow for plenty of headroom

A mini eye is mounted (through-bolted with large washers behind) in the rear foot well on both sides against the first foot moulding.

25mm single swivel shackle blocks are attached to both eyes

The swivels allow for forward passenger sheet control or rear control when solo.

I am still to work out final sheet locking but am thinking of 2 cleats either side for front passenger and one cleat at the rear.

The furling system for the front.

For those who have used twin mainsheets is it necessary to lock both sheets or just the sheet with the load?

Last edited by stringy on Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sunjammers wrote:
How are you going to attach the front sail?
The 2nd major hurdle I see if how to run the sheet line for the forward sail. 2 sheet lines may be better with the 2 sheet blocks on the rails, it could be controlled from the rear seat like a jib on a sailboat. The angle of the front sail being sheeted on the rails could form a nice slot, if its sheeted in to far it might back wind the rear sail.

Thanks Brad for your help -as you can see I have used some of your ideas. :D
My sailing knowledge is limited. Is 'back winding the rear sail' a good or bad thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:18 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Back winding the sail is a bad thing, it will blow the sail out of shape causing it to be less effective! let us know how it works out!

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How Ya Going Stringy..?
Good onya ...that looks like a real ripper of a rig now. :lol:
I bet your going to be flat out like a lizard drinking when you have both those sails up in a bit of wind,with lots of sheets in one hand and the rudder in the other all while pedaling about and trying to stay upright.
Have you made any amas/aka yet or have you installed the sidekicks..?
I really like the looks of that furling design too , very clever bit of work. Be sure to report back after you have taken a sail and let us know how it went. Cheers :wink:
Have fun down there
Kepnutz

Last edited by kepnutz on Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:30 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

stringy wrote:
For those who have used twin mainsheets is it necessary to lock both sheets or just the sheet with the load?

You would sheet with the leeward line, allowing the windward line to run free. When tacking, you release the line when the sail luffs (no longer draws). When the wind crosses the bow, you would then tend the sail with the other sheet. When and if you cleat the sheet may depend on the wind and boat stability.

To start with, you might think of a sail management plan. For instance, you could unfurl the foresail 1/4 and see how it handles, then go to 1/2 etc. If you try to run the sails independently, one by each crew, you may end up over correcting.

If you find upwind headings difficult to maintain, the foresail may be over powering the rudder (without a daggerboard or leeboard forward). If so, it might be best to furl or reef it. Downwind, it should make a nice contribution.

It's a handsome looking rig and will definitely be a conversation piece! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day Kep
She's a bloody bewdie bottler mate! :wink:
Well let me clarify that- I think it has a certain symmetry with two of everything- but I still haven't put it in the water yet :( Bloody thunderstorms!
I'm hoping I won't need amas- will let you know.

Roadrunner thanks for the info. The sail management plan is brilliant. :D Will certainly try it when I finally get it on the water. Should avoid a capsize if the extra sail does prove to be too unstable.

Thanks Brad for the back wind info- I see what you mean now. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'day Stringy 8)
She looks quite the corker mate and you're a bottler for building her !!
You should be grinning like a shot fox if you can get out for a fair go.
Although it sounds like you might even have to chuck a sickie once the weather gets good just to give it a burl.
After you have a couple trips under your belt she should be a piece of piss to go round back of bourke and back.
Look at me Kim... Loook at me.... Looook at muuueeee... I would still consider mounting a pair of floaties just to keep from getting stuffed in fresh wind and strong gusts .
Perhaps then you could also stifffen up your main mast a bit and make a firm boombatten to give the sail better shape, power, speed and then she'll be apples. Too right !!
Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie.... Oy Oy Oy!

Cheers :wink:
Kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great work Kep! :lol:
Sure you're not really an expat Aussie? :wink:
Still haven't been out on the water :cry:
PS- I made one of your boombats out of a tent pole repair kit when we were on Lady Musgrave Island. Works great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gday Stringy :lol:
No x-pat here :(
I would be happy to go to OZ someday but its too far to drive there from California :cry:
Anyway I would still think about getting some floaties "toot suite", so you can sail in stronger winds. The sidekicks work quite well and can be stowed in the hatch or on the back rack until needed. They can be easily inflated/installed while underway and made a big difference in expanding our sailing capabilities in a larger variety of wind conditions.
PS When you do get to go out dont forget your sunnies :wink:

Cheers
Kepnutz

Last edited by kepnutz on Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

kepnutz wrote:

I would be happy to go to OZ someday but its too far to drive there from California :cry:

Drive?? Have a captain cook at this alternative to getting downunder:
http://www.crossingtheditch.com.au/
I've been following their progress with great interest and wondering if they would be closer to their goal if their kayak had flippers :wink:

PS Hmm...goggles as sunnies-I'm guessing without sidekicks you think I won't be staying as dry as a dead dingo's donga. Hoping to test it out today so I should find out one way or the other :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Holy Dooley Stringy..!!
They're going to paddle out around the black stump ..must not be the full quid those two eh? :wink:
Once you use both sails in a fair breeze and come a guster, the need for a good set of floaties will stand out like a dogs bollocks :lol:
If you mounted some floaties now you could stay dry as a nuns nasty even in the stronger winds and be ready to do the Sydney to Hobart in a couple weeks 8)
Cheers
Kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They must be a slice short of a loaf for heading to NZ in the first place. :shock:
Everyone in Oz knows that most of the traffic is the other way! :)
(apologies to any Kiwis who may be reading) :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 6:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How Ya Going Stringy
That's quite the walkabout though, full loaf or none.:wink:
How did your bush bash go..? Any wind...fair skies..good sailing over your way yet? Keep us posted. Maybe if it goes well my cook will get me another sail kit as a chrissie prezzie :lol:
Cheers
Kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day Kep,
Well I know we're not ready for the Sydney to Hobart quite yet having just returned from a brief first test. :wink:
The weather here has still been terrible with thunderstorms and strong winds persisting.
I couldn't wait any longer and though strong Northeasters were forecast they hadn't turned up yet so as the thunderstorms had eased we launched -going with RR's idea of gradually unfurling:

By the time we had cleared the moored boats the winds had really picked up with white caps starting. In these conditions I furl the single sail so two sails were definitely too much. We decided to head back and partially unfurled the second sail:
The conditions just weren't suitable for any kind of test. :(

Initial impressions are that stability is definitely a concern as the extra sail did make the boat feel more tippy. Mind you the winds now blowing around 30km/h have that effect on the single sail too.
I think you may be right about the sidekicks which I am now considering!
Stay tuned.
PS- I know when I'm beat- you've managed to out-Aussie an Aussie :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good Onya Stringy.. 8)

You're not beat mate , its not even about getting beat, your just getting started thats all.
This looked like a real dinky-di test to me which was about getting some good oil on your new rig.
I think the trouble with these little buggers is that the wind just tips us all about without moving things along as much as we'd like.
I installed my sidekicks to hopefully stay right side up long enough to be able to sail in faster wind with a stiffer mast and boombatten and then built a larger sailing rudder to help us hold a better course.
Sailing at first without any sidekicks on, in decent wind, I felt like the bloody thing was gonna roll over like a brown-eyed mullet floating in a swamped dunny.
Holy dooley it was easier and faster to take the sail down and just pedal the bloody thing around.
The new sidekicks made it possible to handle more wind with no drama.
You have twice the sail power as most of us do so you will probably want to consider some windbags too so you can sort it all out without looking like you got the wobbly boot on again. :lol:
You're going to be as busy as a cat burying S#!T out there with your two sails so why fuss about going upside down and have to make constant sail trim adjustments every time the wind kicks up or changes a bit?
Anyway Im sure you'll get it all sorted out no worries..!!

Cheers
Kepnutz