Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie AI Fishing Saftey
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:39 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Aloha everyone, I get a lot of calls and a lot of e-mails about Hobie AI Safety. I live on the north shore of Oahu in the islands of Hawaii. These waters are some of the most dangerous in the world. In this blogg I will address all the things I do for safety. With the sport of kayaking growing at a very fast pace and the hobie AI sales going up, I feel it is my duty to share what I have learned. Maybe it can save someone’s life. When you get a Hobie AI you will be able to go places that were never possible in a traditional yak. Be prepared for additional risks. We want everyone who goes out on the hobie AI to come back home. Safety is the most important thing for the Hobie AI owner.
Always, and I mean always wear your life jacket when using the AI. There have been many times I have almost fallen asleep while under sail and simply put about fell into the water. These yaks can flip too I haven’t done it yet but there has been times I have gotten very close. I advise, if you go out any distance at sea, you should become very familiar with how to upright an over turned Hobie AI
Whenever you can, use the buddy system. This is almost the most certain way to eliminate a real disaster. Go out with a friend whenever you use the Hobie AI
You will want two forms of signaling devices. One worn at all times in case you end up in the water. I use my cell phone in waterproof bag it stays on me. I have a hand help VHS marine radio waterproof in the seat bag. I also carry a mirror, whistle, and goggles in tuppawhere boxes under the seat hatch along with a first aid kit. They have big, cheap, waterproof, and air proof, plastic containers at wahl mart much cheaper that otter type boxes.
There are a couple of other things I take when I go. I always take my swim fins. Churchill’s from wahl mart. A surfboard leash as a harness, and the goggles. This is in case I have to get into the water and work on the hobie AI at sea.
If you use the Hobie like we do in Hawaii you will have some things break. One of the most important tools you can carry is a small vise grip pliers. This can be used for steering in case your rudder steering handle comes off. The other thing that will break is the rudder pin. If this happens on the water you will have to get into the water to fix it. Make sure you go out with extra rudder pins. Here you will want to put the surfboard leash harness on, put the goggles and swim fins on, and make sure you have life vest on with a radio or cell phone. Then you can get in the water safely. Trust me on this one guys this could save your akole. Always carry some basic tools, allen wrench set, screw driver set and extra parts.
Always think about safety. The what if and what ands. Be prepared. Good luck to all the Hobie AI anglers and come home safely. Aloha Boogie-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Boogie-D,

A lot of common sense, which I have been known to leave at home occasionally. A lot of great new Ideas also, that I will be adding to my standard gear bag. I spend most of time out in the PacNW in Puget Sound, so until I get my Dry Suit (xmas) I have not been spending a lot of time swimming to make repairs. I have had to paddle to shore twice to make misc. repairs in the past however.

NorskBoy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

One addition to an excellent appraisal....Big problems start with little ones. OK, you made it to launch without killing yourself in your car getting there thats probably 95% of the problem OVER.

Please dont forget the conditions that caused you to capsize (unless you fall asleep at the helm) will still be there when you right the boat its the same with kayaking if you have to roll back once chances are your going to have to do it again. How many times are you going to be able to right your boat or perform an Eskimo roll? My tops for an Eskimo Roll would be about 4 or 5 then I'd be all done in.

Check your weather BEFORE you leave the beach. Dont forget if the winds offshore, close to the beach you will feel very little outside is a different story.

I dont sail North Shore Oahu, I believe wintertime big lows spawned way up in the Auletians bring in some pretty serious winds/waves. Phukets utterly benign BUT same rules apply!

Churchills in the forehatch are a great idea but they are for helping you fix your boat they are not a bail out solution. i think in another post i said I could always swim for it if I got into trouble, that was an incrdibly stupid thing to say. Never leave the boat.

Garmin foretrex is a nice item to have along with your mobile.

Fixes at sea are not easy, what may be a rudimentaray job on land can reach epic proportions in any kind of a sea. better you perform a pre flight on the beach.

Sea kayaking by john Dowd is a formidable tome and whilst geared towards paddle kayaks much of his advice is relevent. he also writes beautifully.

We have another AI sailer on the island here and I am delighted to say he is totaly in love with his boat and has had no problems whatsoever!

Post subject: Thanks for the help
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm just preparing to head for Maui for the the winter visit, I'll be picking up a new 2008 AI to add to the 2007, so the girlfriend and I can sail west Maui together. I wanted to thank all the contributors for the great safety tips. I have now equiped each AI with PFD's, bilge pumps, flares, rescue lights, whistles, small bag of tools and a couple of spare parts. We plan to sail from Kahana to Olowalu and pickup the kayaks and haul them back to Kahana. Thanks again for the great tips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't forget to look us up when you're back here in Maui. There's now five of us AI owners here in Kihei. Also, make sure you have all the latest upgrades waiting for your older boat, as they have improved the AI even more.

Aloha,

Kayaking Bob

Post subject: Aloha Kayaking Bob
PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:08 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes we will look you up, we arrive on Maui on December 27th and pickup the 2008 AI and the rudder up/down upgrade for the 2007, I have everthing else along with boxes of other stuff for the yaks. Thanks for the email and we will see you soon.
John