Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: AI New Colors?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Have sales of the AI been extensive ennough for Hobie to consider offering it in more colors in the future?

I would love one in white, just like we saw the prototype in a video a year or so ago. In fact I'd buy one tomorrow if I could get that.

I understand the current alternative of buying a white Adventure and then upgrading it to be quite a daunting task, and one still ends up with the wrong color amas.

Any news on this front?

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We no longer have White in our color range.... The closest color offered would be Dune (this is only sold as an accessory package to a Dune adventure hull currently)

Post subject: Re: AI New Colors?
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:12 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
EddTheBrit wrote:

I understand the current alternative of buying a white Adventure and then upgrading it to be quite a daunting task, and one still ends up with the wrong color amas.

Thanks!

Dune is offered in the upgrade kit.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject: Color changes
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:17 am 
Site Admin

New colors and model changes are done September 1st, so next year is the soonest for any changes.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info. I saw "Dune" mentioned here in the forum, but couldn't see it on the company website yet. I wonder how it looks in the flesh - like a very pale tan, perhaps?

When you say "We no longer offer white at all," is that just for the coming year, as you frequently tweak the color linup - or is it some sort of new permanent company policy?

Regards,

Edd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:59 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
Hobie use to offer a White granite kayak, maybe 4 years ago, dune has been the rec. color for last 2 or 3 years I think. Its much lighter than Tan

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

EddTheBrit wrote:
Thanks for the info. I saw "Dune" mentioned here in the forum, but couldn't see it on the company website yet. I wonder how it looks in the flesh - like a very pale tan, perhaps?

When you say "We no longer offer white at all," is that just for the coming year, as you frequently tweak the color linup - or is it some sort of new permanent company policy?

Regards,

Edd

DUNE is a very nice white sand color, slightly beige, it looks great on my Revo.
I think white sailboats (or near-white) always look more elegant on the water than lurid colors that cry, "Plastic".
I am buying an AI but I dont really like the Papaya colour and not many other ppl do either because my Dealer has sold all the Hibiscus colour ones and thats all he has left.
I would rather upgrade a Dune-coloured Adventure than sail on the cheap-looking, sickly yellow AI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

hey!!! them's fightin' words. i love my cheap-looking, sickly yellow AI. how much fun do you think i have sailing with a bag over my head?!?.....
maybe some spray paint in grey and green go for the klingon battlecruiser look???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh dear I knew I shoudnt have said that!

But you Americans have different taste, up there Gaudy is Good so its OK for you.

I just spent 3 moths in the USA , most of the sailboats on the Erie, and Ontario were trad white.

No, but seriously, to the guy who wanted a pure White boat, they show every tiny rub, scuff and stain.
And then there is the UV color stability, it doesnt matter in pale sunshine Northern America but here where the climate is like Mexico your Red Hobie will be Pink in a few Summers.
Hot colors like Red & Yellow fade faster than cold ones like Blue & Gtreen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

EddTheBrit wrote:

Regards,

Edd

Just go to Hobie.com and look at the Revo page, its shown in all its pale, creamy goodness. The slightly beige speckled finish hides small marks and dirt rubs so well you have to look closely to find any wear & tear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

skymax wrote:

But you Americans have different taste, up there Gaudy is Good so its OK for you.

Boy, this bloke talks big with an entire Pacific Ocean between us! :evil:

Wonder how tough he is face to face? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Please, my apologies for any unintentional rudeness.
I have a bunch of great American friends in NY that I visit every year and I am often teasing them with tongue-in-cheek humor that is not serious at all.
I woudnt have just spent 12 weeks in the USA if I didnt like you guys.

What I really think is both those colors are ok and one of them will do fine but if Dune was available that is my personal favourite.

My girlfriend said the Papaya looked "Classy" so it must be just me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 10:41 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

No need to apologise -- your point was a good one. I strongly favor white also and miss the sharp, clean classic look that it commands. Fortunately, it was still around for our '06 Adventure.

Lacking white, "Dune" isn't too bad though. Our '08 Dune Oasis looks pretty "white" as long as there is no white nearby!

Oddly, no matter what color the boat is, one seems to adjust to it and enjoy the kayaking or sailing just as much. Our "Hibiscus" AI is a blast to sail -- the color even grows on you after awhile. Since crossing power boats frequently underestimate the AI's Speed, having a loud color probably works out pretty well.

Perhaps it's a matter of demand. Once Hobie introduced colored hulls, they seemed to outsell the white.

Maybe Hobie would consider coming out with a "limited edition" white version?? At least, Dune should be offered as an AI, since it is already available separately as a kit and also as an Adventure.8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thats all interesting info.
While on this subject if one decided to go to the extra expense to buy an 07 Adventure and fit the kit to make it an AI then would it still have the recent rudder mods etc I have read about.
And, are 07 Adventures available in Ivory Dune, for that matter are the kit amas available in Dune?

Thanks.