Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:15 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Is the hold plastic down screw required now that one has upgraded the rudder system with up and down lines, the latter with a cam cleat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dan,

I keep one in my tool kit for emergencies, but other than that No. The latest rudder assembly we got didn't even have the hole drilled anymore. Happy New Year.

Kayaking Bob

P.S. I hope to be out fishing again in the next week or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:49 am 
Hobie Team Member

Thanks Bob

Are the new ruder pins holding up OK?

Did use the AI in some higher winds. Going to be a blast. Family was here so I had to share, and only got a short ride myself. Going to try fishing tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Haven't broken one yet, but replace the bottom ring with a cotter pin, so it can't interfere.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:29 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Yeah I picked up on the cotter ring from one of your other posts.

Skunked today. Covered quite a bit of ground in what I would estimate as barely a 10 knot wind. GPS speed though seemed low. 3.6 -4.2 range.

What wind do I need to hit 7-8 knots?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, we were out in it too Friday. Small Craft Advisories posted, so we stayed very close to shore, but hardly saw 15mph mostly under 10mph (no white caps). Usually the forecast around here is pretty accurate but I guess they had an off day.

To hit a steady 7-8k (9-10mph), you probably need closer to 20mph depending on your point of sail. The AI seems fastest on the beam or broad reach (across to slightly downwind). That seems to work best for us here as the waves (4-8') then don't slow us down if we're running along them. A steady 7-8mph is more easily doable especially if the waves aren't slowing you down.

Best speed runs I've had were running along the top of long waves (1000's of feet long) but they don't usually form till closer to 25mph (still not usually a Small Craft Advisory here :D ). We don't usually go looking for conditions like this but have to go through them to get back home sometimes (and then an extra run or two out and back, just to be sure).

Also, the amount of reefing of the sail makes a difference. Once the leeward ama starts burying, the speed drops a lot. Often with less sail, we go faster (less drag).

A nice plus on using a spray skirts, when the ama "submarines" from a big gust common at faster wind speeds, the sprayskirt plains! Sometimes causing us to go even faster depending on the gust. Also buys us time to re-adjust to the changed condition instead of heeling way over.

Happy Fishing,

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I got a top speed of 9knots on my Garmin the other day just before I busted my rudder assembly, I was reaching down 1 meter swells in winds gusting up to what I guessed were about 18 knots...but without an anemometer you can never be sure.