Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sail Shape Control
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

OK, here's another question. On larger Cats, the main Block is attached to a traveler, which provides good sail control when on a reach. The Bravo has a fixed position for the main sheet block, and no room for installing a traveler track.

So I was considering setting up a barber haul system to allow me to move the main sheet block from side to side. This would consist of a line attached to each hull that the main block would ride on. then a second line to pull the block into the desired position.

My question is if the hulls can take the load? I don't want fastening points on the hull to pull out and leave a gaping hole.

Has anyone else tried or considered trying this?

Charlie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well I finally have a boom installed and went out for a trial run. I have to say that I wasn't impressed, not the boom's fault, but my ability to read the sail and make the proper adjustments. So I did a lot of reading on reading the tell-tales and what adjustments to make.

Today it was blowing like stink. 20 mph winds with knock down puffs. I had to reef the main in to make it to the top end of the lake. Then let it out for some broad reach runs. The boom kept the sail out where it should be and adjusting the outhaul to make the sail "full" helped. However, when I put some vang into it, and reduced the top of the sail from twisting, its like a turbo kicked in.

I will say the boom does live up to its name if you don't duck low enough. Probably won't use it when I have someone on board for a leisurely sail

Oh yea, I dropped the idea of a barber-haul, to complicated and the vang gives the control over a broader range.

Charlie