Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wave vs Getaway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This topic may have been discussed before but I did not find a reference. Considering a Wave (with a jib) or a Getaway. Mostly single hand sailing, all on Lake Erie. I am able to beach the boat. To me bigger does not by itself mean better, I've already had the bigger monohulls and want to go to something smaller. Comparisons please (performance, single hand capability, solo righting ability, etc). Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well I have 20yrs experience with the 16, 2yrs with my new getaway and I have rented waves a few times on holidays. I sail mostly solo on a small lake and really like my getaway with the wings and the roller reefing jib its comfortable and when the wind comes up just furl the jib. I have a rigging bag so righting the getaway my myself is not as issue. I have not tipped the wave but at 210 lbs. I assume I wouldn't have a problem righting it. Both boats are a joy to sail although the getaway is faster as it carries more sail and will carry up to 6 adults for a nice afternoon cruise, that being said the wave was a great boat which you would have to try fairly hard to upset. I goes pretty good especially if you are moving over from the mono-hull. If I had the choice I would stick with my getaway. If I lived in an area that had lots of wind all the time I might go with the wave especially if I had no crew to rely on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have a Wave and love it, but I won't try to talk you out of a Getaway. One thing to consider is the weight of the boat, and how you plan to handle it on shore. A Wave is easier to drag up the beach and/or trailer by yourself, and can be car-topped (SE version is made to disassemble easily). The Getaway has more neat features and controls, but is more complicated to rig. The Wave is a lot cheaper, plus I have heard the jib on the Wave is not worth the money, and may actually hurt your pointing. If you want more performance and passenger capacity, go for the Getaway.

If you're near Put-in-Bay, there's a Wave fleet there. See Catsailor.com for class activities.

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Post subject: Wave vs. Getaway
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've sailed both. The wave is fun but a bit underpowered. the jib doesn't help much I've heard. It's a super fun solo boat though and doesn't really get overpowered in anything you might actually want to go out in. The Getaway is much more capable of handling the weight, but if you're solo the Wave is the one to get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have not had the pleasure of sailing a wave however I have rigged and sailed my getaway solo many times. I have no issues handling the boat by myself this includes launching, sailing, retrieving the boat on the trailer, beaching, stepping the mast or bringing the mast down. I also agree with Roy about furling the jib if the wind is to strong. I would recommend adding the wings!

Good luck with your purchase!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I would go with the getaway hands down. I own one of each (wave and getaway) (actually I own a few getaways & one is for sale) and I have to say that I got bored with the wave pretty quick, but the getaway has been awesome. Easy to handle solo, but big enough to take friends, fast, stable, and pretty forgiving. So for this particular question, I would vote getaway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I own a WAVE, haven't sailed a GETAWAY. It seems to me that if money and space (storage) is not at issue, and you have a vehicle that can handle the trailer, the GETAWAY is the way to go.

Me, on the other hand, don't have yard space to keep a trailered boat, and refuse to pay storage rent, so I built a rack on the wall of my garage that holds all my WAVE gear and parts, including hulls, and I still have plenty of room for (2) cars. No trailer, no insurance, no tow and boat ramp launcing issues. I built some beach wheels and some rollers that slide into my car top so that I can manage the boat single handed.

The biggest thing for me, though, is that I really enjoy the workout of the car topping/assembly procedures. I paddled a kayak for years, and find myself getting a WAY better workout with my WAVE then I ever did with the kayaks. In addition to the car topping and assembly, on a windy day, it's 2 or three hours of scrambing and sit ups to keep the hulls balanced. Hull lifts out of the water, lean back, hull drops, lean forward. Lean into the oncoming wave, lean back as I slide down the face (the Pacific is cold, here, so I try to minimize splashing).

Golly, it's just greeeeeaat.

I went from 240 lbs. down to 180 but o lot of that weight loss includes a lifestyle/diet change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

For sailing Lake Erie solo, the Getaway is probably too big. If you flip there are 2 very serious problems. First righing it solo in heavy weather is going to be a real problem or perhaps impossible. Second if you get thrown any distance from the Getaway when it goes over there is a good chance it will blow away and you will not be able to swim fast enough to catch it. With the mast float and the surface area of the tramps it really moves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:08 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That's true of the Wave too. Staying with the boat is rule #1 :shock: . Righting it in any circumstances is rule #2.

Dan

Post subject: Re: Wave vs Getaway
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

GETAWAY HAS DOUBLE THE SAIL AREA OF A WAVE AND HAS A JIB THAT ACTUALLY HELPS YOU UNLIKE THE WAVE. GETAWAY IS MORE FUN TO SAIL AND YOU WILL REACH HIGHER SPEEDS AND FLY THE HULL MORE. GETAWAY IS THE WAY.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

In my experience the larger the boat, the less you use it.
Go with the wave, but don't worry about the jib until later.

and if you are soloing in strong wind, a properly weighted wave can be faster than a too light getaway on a beam reach.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have no problems rigging, launchin

Last edited by TPresail on Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I sail both daily in an instructor capacity. The getaway is hands down better than the wave in all areas but the ability to upright if you do go over solo. If you are sailing solo you have the ability to "tame" the getaway by furling the jib and adjusting the rear crossbar traveler on the main sheet to slow this thing down in high winds. If you do want to get out in higher winds and fly a hull you can do that to, you just have to be smart about it. The fact that it weighs only 390lbs makes it still pretty easy to pull up and store on shore, but if you were trailering it, you'd be better off with a second person.

When in doubt, let it out...

You look awesome flying a hull, then you dump and look like a jerk...