Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tandem AI Speculation
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Back in June last year Matt Miller posted 09 as a possible release for the much awaited Tandem AI:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=7048
09 kayaks are released in October the year before I believe.
Over at KFS Roadrunner posted this:
"The Adventure stands alone as the fastest, smoothest running and quietest kayak in the Hobie fleet. IMO, it's Hobie's masterpiece to date."
http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 7971023184

The "to date" comment got me interested.
If 09 means 08 then I imagine the new hull would be undergoing testing now.

Anyone care to comment? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I hope they get it up out of the water..check that Hydrovision fins at KFS link..beef up everything. They should have gone with it's own hull design already. price will increase also. if a faster stronger model emerges for $5000 range I would buy it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My wife and I both love our Islands. I too would consider buying a Tandem Island provided it was no longer than about 17feet and had dual mirage drives like the Oasis. Nice if it had a nose that deflected spray better and a little larger sail and a little faster.

It would also be great if, like the Island, it doubled as both a kayak and a sailboat.

I would love to see such a Hobie wonder come in priced under $4,000. I'd buy it.

-------

I met a couple other guys a few days ago for sailing. They had trailered in a Hobie Wave. While I was on the water in 15minutes it took both of them well over an hour to get the mast, rigging and sail set up & boat in the water.

Needless to say they were very impressed by the Island.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:03 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Yakaholic wrote:
My wife and I both love our Islands. I too would consider buying a Tandem Island provided it was no longer than about 17feet and had dual mirage drives like the Oasis. Nice if it had a nose that deflected spray better and a little larger sail and a little faster.

It would also be great if, like the Island, it doubled as both a kayak and a sailboat.

I'd like to see something like that too. As a sailer it could be quite a flier and as a 17' tandem kayak with an Adventure style hull it would be like a locomotive! Whoops, I'm starting to drool. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We all have our bias as to what this tandem should look like. Personally, I think it should be at least 20-21' with about the same width. With that length you could do some camping trips together.

Keith

Post subject: Tamdem AI
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Chekika wrote:
We all have our bias as to what this tandem should look like. Personally, I think it should be at least 20-21' with about the same width. With that length you could do some camping trips together.

Keith

:lol: C'mon Keith not all of us have wives that let us keep 4 kayaks in the garage + 2 more in the house--oh yeah...and leave her Lexus and your Toyota Forerunneer sit outside!!!

Hope its not more than 18' or it might not work on my Harken Lift in my garage. But I want it--and I want it now!!! :mrgreen:

SW Gulf Coast: Sarasota to Keys

I'm not completely useless. I can always serve as a bad example.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[quote="Chekika"]We all have our bias as to what this tandem should look like. Personally, I think it should be at least 20-21' with about the same width. With that length you could do some camping trips together.

Keith[/quote]

Check that hydrovisions.com sailing outriggers. Not sure of the storage. It may be considered in my next purshase. I hope Hobie can copy some of that fin action.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, Kepra, those raptors are slick boats. They show one being launched in the Everglades Challenge, but I'm not sure it finished. With my limited experience with the Hobie AI, I have to hand it to them--they have made one very versatile boat that is about as easy as it gets. They can make improvements to the rudder system, however.

Polecat, you know I have the run of the house until my wife gets back.

Designed right, the Hobie AI tandem could make a great SOLO expedition boat.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like the look of the hydrovision raptor. but

The raptor 16 come in 2 models - competition & expedition. One of those & all the goodies plus you pay for packing, shipping and insurance. You are pretty close to about $8,000 :shock:

It would be sweet if Hobie could add a similar foil system on a Island Tandem to add at least enough lift to keep the lee ama from getting buried. That could add more speed while keeping the boat from feeling overpowerd in higher wind.

The disadvantage to the raptor, aside from the high price and lack of mirage drive is that it would suck as a stand alone kayak while navigating a narrow and winding creek.

For sailing it looks fast just standing still.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:01 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Designed right, the Hobie AI tandem could make a great SOLO expedition boat.

With all that room makes for all day cruises. SOLO FISHING boat. With internal 6' long fish bag storage, all rods inside, etc. Ought to be plenty of internal room. Versatility will be in hatch design

Fishing requires self furling sail with no guy wires. Add the wires for a hot shot sailing only version, maybe with a larger mast and sail. But keep at least current AI sail size for fishing.

Gonna be heavy. First auxilary item should be a roll up ladder with plastic rollers like a conveyor belt. Back that baby up to a ramp on your Hobie trailer, slide it onto the belt and get her into the water. with a 20 foot belt guessing 50 % of the time no hand cart needed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Dan
How is the Hobie trailer as far the small tires? Are the bearings holding up? Trailer brakes still in good condition after 20-30 thousand? They are priced right. Thats a lot of questions. Seems like that fin in the Hydro. ama might do a Hobie some good. Did you see the FAQ section with how it works..section..Has Matt or anyone posted on a fin adapation for AI? For the sail to get bigger everything will have to increase. Stronger rudder control. Think if it is just talked about on the forum.. Hobie will produce a bigger boat. I'm going to lay out an escape ladder and see if the metal rungs can be insulated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:34 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Dan
How is the Hobie trailer as far the small tires? Are the bearings holding up? Trailer brakes still in good condition after 20-30 thousand? They are priced right. Thats a lot of questions

I don't have a Hobie trailer.

Just talking about one (could be any trailer) with the proposed tandem as there aren't too many years left in this old bod to handle projected weight

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The perfect AI Tandem.

For me, that boat would be 18' to 20' long. It would have mirage drives, front and back. It would use the same type of ama/aka setup used now, just bigger and stronger. There would be optional netting between the hulls that would support a person. It would use a sail like the one on the Bravo, roller furling, no shrouds, big. You could go solo or take a couple of friends with you. (You could even have an optional motor mount for the peddle/paddle/sail challenged)

It would be this great, tough, multi-purpose platform. It could be a true trailerable trimaran. It could be a fishing kayak that could easily handle big water. You could go camping with it. You could dive from it. You could use it for weeks and never do the same thing twice.

I've heard the issue with making a larger boat is the ovens they cook the hulls in. That Hobie would need new larger ovens to make plastic hulls larger than 16'. I'm hoping that Hobie will see that there is a HUGE maket for a simple, durable, multi-purpose boat that everyday people can play with.

I'll go ahead and place my oreder now, and yes, I'll need the trailer too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tandem AI..with dual mirage drives std .. generous gear storage std...bigger amas that dont submerge as easy std...less water over the bow into your face std.. fat sailing rudder std..bit more powerfull sail std..less filling .. tastes great.. now were talking :lol:
Kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

More than half of AI customers ask me whether it is available as a tandem. I think there's a good market for such a boat if Hobie makes it.