Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Night Sailing the AI
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well first of all I have to tell you that I have 2 very young children at home and its really hard these days to escape for a few hours to go have fun.

So over the last few years I have learned to go fishing at night 1am, fish with first light and watch the sun come up. It actually is my favorite time to be on the water, just before the sun comes up is one of the best times to fish, I think

It was a very cool New Jersey night with a fairly bright moon. The lake that I go to is near my house and its around 250 acres wide and long. So its pretty big

I rigged up in record time, in the dark in only 15 minutes which I thought was really good and I was into the water. I was wearing my Gortex dry-suit because the water is still very cold and I wanted to stay dry.

The wind was blowing 15-20, I had mounted a MAG Light and pointed it forward just incase I needed it. I actually rarely turned on any lights after my eyes adjusted I could see perfectly.

It was really fun sailing at night, listening to all the sounds around me, watching the Ducks fly out of my way. It was also pretty cool moving across the water with no sounds coming from the paddle.

There was no other boats on the water and it was really fun. I did have a flashlight on my vest that I would point at the sail to show my positions if there was any other boats around.

This lake is such a good bass lake that the last 2 weekends I came down here by sunrise there was 50 bass boats waiting to get in. There is a bass tournament at this lake every weekend from now to the fall

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:07 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

That sounds really cool! Going out on the water at night is an entirely different experience -- very personal and private. Thanks for sharing! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:21 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Nice post Al.

Reminds me of the first time I went out looking for o'pelu (local bait fish).

Aloha,

Dan