Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Wave Spinnaker?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I want to get a Wave. I think the jib is a good idea but I'm wondering about the spinnaker.

I like the wave 'cause it's fun to sail but not complicated for my wife. Our current boat, a Buccaneer 18 is one in which I sometimes have to tell her to do stuff and I mean RIGHT NOW. She doesn't often like that. I think the simplicity of the Wave allows me to be pretty much in charge of everything making both of us have fun. We sailed a Wave in January when we went to a Caribbean resort and liked it. This boat didn't have a jib but I think we could add that without making to much work for the crew.

I talked to the guy at the local boat shop and he suggested that the spinnaker would not be the same. He thought that if what I'm looking for is a simple boat that requires no barking of commands, I should stay away from the spinnaker. HOWEVER, when we were talking about the spinnaker option yesterday, my wife asked, "well is that something we could add later?" This made me think she might be amenable to the spinnaker idea.

BUT I don't know anything about this. Is it worth it? I assume it makes a big difference in down wind sailing but how easy is it to use?

Thanks.

-Pete

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have never seen a spin on a wave but I'm sure If you spent enough time and money experimenting it could be done. The getaway was never designed for a spin and several people have now installed one. I would love to have the spin on my getaway but i sail solo all the time and I think there would be too many lines to take care of as well as steer the boat in anykind of heavy wind.

Post subject: Wave spinnakers
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:36 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

The spin kit on the Wave is very easy to use. I uses a single line hoist and douse set up. The sail is sized well for the boat and certainly adds some 'go' for off the wind sailing but not so much that you need to be a rockstar to handle it. There is some technique required to trim and gybe the kite properly but it is easily learned. Fortunately, the sail isn't so big that you'll go swimming the hard way if you mess up :D .

I've installed a few of them and none of the owners had any asymmetric spinnaker experience but they all still like them.

Feel free to contact me by pm or phone.

Jay
KO Sailing
281-867-8200

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bird,

Is the spinnaker doable to single hand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I don't know about the spinnaker but I can certainly relate to the barking commands part on a bigger boat vs the simplicity of the Wave. My wife is basically just a passenger ... and it is really nice to be able to handle it all myself. I've owned a bigger boat and the Wave is a dream to sail in comparison.

I'd like to hear more about the spinnaker though!

Dennis

Post subject: Re: Wave Spinnaker?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:22 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

zzcoreyzz wrote:
Bird,

Is the spinnaker doable to single hand?

Yes, this newbie managed to solo with the spinny in light winds towards the end last season.