Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Introduction
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

after the first launch of my AI let me introduce myself....:-)

I'm now 60, living in Germany and France, the AI is my second Hobie after the H14 I bought in 1974.
Due to the rapid growing scene of windsurfing in Europe I switched in 1975 fully to windsurfing including shaping, modifying and this stuff. Great time!

Now a little bit older the AI will deliver more silent and comfortable, but wet sailing, mainly on the Atlantic Ocean around the island Noirmoutier, I guess.
This island I know for more than twenty years due to windsurfing and sailing with the little Mirror 11ft. Dinghi.

The AI is the 07 version, without knowing the update of the new rudder before buying it I have to change it by myself. Thanks for the threads with the clever hints of experienced sailors here.

Beginning with sailing this craft I'll start when more windy conditions appear in the backward water of this island and train for the more rough west-side of Noirmoutier.

At the beaches there are a lot of Hobiecats there but for me the AI is better because sometimes I stay without my wife in France and the AI is easy to move, built up singlehand and stored in the garden.

My second hobby is photography s I have to look around to get a waterproof wideangle digicamera but at first I'll sail.

Easterdays had been could but the first launch was very easy. Small sets of waves, wind directly to the shoreline and the first meter with the mirage drive, it was like a breeze (as the English say).

So enough for the first post, in two weeks we'll spend three weeks over there on this fantastic island and the AI.

http://ile-noirmoutier.com/nautisme.cfm

Regards
Bernd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:46 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Bernd, welcome to the forum. Since you know the AI can be a wet sailer, you might look into a small waterproof camera that you can keep in a shirt pocket for fast retrieval. You never know what might suddenly drive by on the water:

Or show up at a nearby shore:
8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:35 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your reply and the nice photographs. Especially the first pic drops memories into my brain.
As a young boy of appr. 15 my father and I spent the weekends on the Rhine river near Dusseldorf. At those time the "Amphicar" a rear engine driven car made in Berlin had some success in Europe.
But it was unsafe in the water and on the street due to the very high body.
Two props in the back under the rear bumper didn't give enough power to leave the water easily because there is no front wheel drive.
Many Amphicars got the water inside from the rear by waves of fast ships.

One morning I had to help such car and passengers with my inflatable "Wiking Comet" powered by a 20hp Mercury. It was much more wet compare to the AI... :?
Now the Amphicar is an expensive oldtimer.

Yesterday I ordered a camera Olympus mju 1030. It resists waterpressure up to 10 meter, has a lens starting at 28mm, that's enough for trips on the water. My Nikon D300 has to stay at the beach....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 1:06 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Good luck with your new camera. I have the Olympus 790. It is very shock and water proof camera and very handy to put in your PFD. However - It is very limited when you try to shoot 2 Pics one after another. Usaely to obtain focus on the water I use only the wide angle mode.

Here is a short clip I took with the camera:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NT7Sc6nWLi8

P.S

Can you please assist me - How do you add pics to a thread here ...? thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi @ ido and thanks for your comment and the link to youtube.
With most "normal" cameras, the angle of view is too narrow for such a small boat and the low point of view. Nearly all pibs show the feet of sportive yachtmen pedaling somewhere... :D But let's see in two weeks whether a 28mm lens will be wide enough.....

As for posting here pics you need somewhere a locationwhere you can upload your pics and do a "Cut, Copy&Paste" with theURL.
Pls. refer to the link below:

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=9126

Regards
Bernd

PS: when I'm on solid ground, my pics look like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36573929@N00/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks. Great photos. A tour via the human experience..
I have the D300 as well. very good camera. unfortunately my camera does not share an excellent photographer like your camera..

I will try to upload a pic I took with the Olympus

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

[quote="ido"]Good luck with your new camera. I have the Olympus 790. It is very shock and water proof camera and very handy to put in your PFD. [quote]

I have the Olympus 1030. It is without a doubt the best camera to have in such a close proximity to the water. I used to take my Canon 20D with me in a waterproof bag, but what a hassle that was. I can keep my 1030 on my wrist!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for your replies @ ido&jzk!
Saltwater and cameras, iPods etc. are not really friends.

Regards
Bernd