Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sail Repair
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 10:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The end of my batten pocket is made of a nylon strip that is folded and sewn into the pocket. This has cracked at the fold and my batten is sticking out. I looked at a newer sail and they use a nylon assembly that is screwed/riveted together instead of a piece of folded nylon.

My question is how to repair this sail? Should I remove the stitching and replace whats there? Or, install a sail pocket protector?

Now, if I install one of the pocket protector assemblies, I'll have to make some holes in the sail itself, are there any precautions to take? I don't want to create a bigger problem.

Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey, I had the same problem on my Bravo sails. Stupid design to only put little plastic reinforced nylon pockets there. I bought some Hobie 16 jib batten pockets and riveted them through the sail, so far so good after a few good cruises and one hard blow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:31 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the reply.

I was considering using the Jib pocket protectors, so now I have some follow-up questions for you. When you installed them, did you modify the plastic pocket end in any way?

Second, did you just place them on both side of the sail with the end of the Jib protector lined up with the end of the existing protector?

Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I installed the jib batten ends on either side of the sail. I thought about unstitching the plastic pocket ends and doing something funky there, but ended up just lining up the jib batten protectors over the plastic pocket ends, using a C clamp to hold it in place while I punched through the plastic and sail cloth and then used #6x1/2" brass nuts and bolts (I said rivets in my earlier post, but I actually used brass hardware). I filed the bolt ends down flush to the jib batten ends; looks smooth and good. I'm not worried about the sail cloth splitting as the holes are small and well compressed between the jib ends, and there is plenty of stitching around from the plastic pocket ends.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sounds good. I was looking at it and really didn't want to get involved with un-stitching the pocket. So sandwiching the sail/pocket between the two half's of the protector works for me.

Charlie