Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have came across a boat with the wings completely stuck in the sockets. I think it was left on the beach for quite the while. I want to get the wings out. I have read the recent post about getting them in and out but this boat is way past that. Should I just get the sawzall out and surgically remove? One hull is good so I would like to not cut it. Can I get a pressure spray bottle, turn the hull upsidedown and work the sand out. Any suggestions? Come on People...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think you're going to have to cut them out. My bet; someone was tired of the leaking and used a big blob of glue sealer in place of a proper repair.

If I am wrong, and there is no sealant/glue here are a few thoughts. In order.

1.) solvent: try pouring some fiberglass-safe solvent, like alcohol, into the socket. Let it sit for a while on the hope that it will dissolve anything crusty.

2.) Heat. Pour really hot water down there:- may dissolve crusty stuff, may cause the materials to expand/contract/soften, which may weaken whatever bond may have occurred. You might want to carefully put a torch directly on the wing.

3.) Impact: Tie a strong piece of line to the wing post, tie the other end to the handle of a 10lb sledge hammer where the handle meets the head. Match the force direction with the axis of the post and increase the force of the blows slowly up to the point where you begin to scare bystanders.

Peace,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

WD-40, and lots of it?

I like the hammer idea, it would be good if you could put some pressure on it while your hitting it. Tie a ratchet strap or a come-a-long winch to a tree and put some tension on it.

I don't know how much H17 wings are but they can't be cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

yeah dey spensive, they is why I an geeting them
thanks y'all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

swc; are we discussing a carcass/parts boat? If so, I've got a odd request.

In another thread, I brought up the subject of hull slop - where the cross-bars meet the hulls. The 17's ship "stiff" from the factory, and then loosen over time in a manner that is not easily fixed. My 2003 H17 is a good example of this.

I intend to develop a permanent, DIY fix that I will post here on this forum (as I have done with other fixes in the past), that will not only fix the problem, but will be stiffer than new, and will allow periodic tightening without disassembly of the boat. But in order to do so, I need to see the sectional thickness and hidden contour in the fiberglass, which can only be achieved by slicing one open and taking measurements. That's where you come in.

A hull that is headed for the land-fill is what I am after. But not the whole hull, just the two areas where the cross bars meet the hulls. Requires someone with a love of chain-saws, and an allegiance to the Hobie 17 community to cut out the fore and aft crossbar pocket in one of the hulls and send them to me.

If you're game, let me know, I'll send you a pic with a desired cut line, and I'll give you my UPS account number so it costs you nothing other than the box and the time to cut it out. Of course, you'll get attribution for your generous contribution!

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The first thing I would try would be to have a couple people help you. The wings have to come straight out of the sockets. Get one person on each end of the wing and pull straight out.

If you suspect there is sand causing the wings to stick in, you may be able to flush out the sockets with water. I would stay away from WD-40 or solvents.

Also, using a rubber mallet on the underside of the wing will probably knock it free.

Last thing that might work would be drilling out the rivets on the inner support bar brackets, so you can remove the bar. This would allow the main wing tube to move around more freely.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thank you all for the ideas
dan please call me. add one number to each digit... 732-301-3833

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

swc, I left a message on the (+1)number you gave. Please let me know if you did not get it.

Thanks,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 2:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I must have jotted down your # wrong, please call again

Post subject: ?
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use to have a BIG problem getting mine out after a sail. Get some REALLY cold water and pour on the wing sockets. Starting at the rear, use your back to rasie the wing 6". NO MORE!! Go the front and raise 12" NO MORE! then go to the back and it should come out. Try this. After almost getting a hernia a few times I got shown this by a friend. It works.

Doug