Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Guys,

I have a 14 year old daughter and her 12 year old sister want to race in our club races next year.(Austin Lake) Both have sailed with us since they could walk and have crewed for me (sometimes skippered for Mom) over the past couple of years.
Neither of them are very big ( not a lot of upper body strength) so if there is ANY wind at all they just get tired to the point that they retire after the first race.
I have 6 to 1 on the main sheet. Do any of you have any suggestions as to how to make this 16(1978) a little more kid friendly? What have some of you done in the same situation? It has the old tiller system, if I replaced that and got some adjustment that would eliminate some of the weather helm that would be a good start.
I think it is so cool that they want to race and I want to make it as easy/enjoyable an experience as possible.

Thanks,

John

P.S. Matt B. That looks like your picture in action on the HCA NA web site. I'm not entirely sure as this picture is from the front and I rarely see you from there Ha..... John S.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:56 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

First thing you've got to do is get the helm neutral. My boat's balanced to the point that I can lay the tiller down going upwind and the boat will continue to track fairly straight.

You'll probably have to re-drill your rudders to do that. If you're coming to Strictly Sail in Chicago (1st weekend in February), bring your rudders & you can use mine as templates.

The photo on the web site is Rich McVeigh at Rehoboth last year. He's the new webmaster. (My boat doesn't have the stripe on the hull - just the diamond logo.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Matt,
Can't make it to Chicago. I assume I would have to fill in the top hole of the rudder with epoxy and re-drill a hole slightly forward of the previous hole.

John

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

see http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=467 for some details.Also a good article in ON THE WIRE .If Interested contact me an I will look up article

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks mmadge.

Looks like some good info. You are not too far from my old stomping grounds of Houghton, Michigan

John

Post subject: A 14 and a 12 year old?!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John said:
"I have a 14 year old daughter and her 12 year old sister want to race in our club races next year."

On a 16! :shock: Well, more powe to them! 8)

History: Hobie Alter designed the boat with his "ideal" California couple in mind. That would be a "beach boy" of about 160 to 180 lbs and his girlfriend of about 110 to 130 lbs. Thus the righting weight and all. I hope youir girls can hold it together in a good breeze.

Don't forget- reefing the main IS an option (but I have never seen anyone but me do it- and win races to boot! )

Anyway, more power to them as I said.

Dang, I wish I could even get my kid out with me much less be interested in sailing on her own :roll: You up for a "kid trade"? :lol:

Happy New Year-

-Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Stephen,

They like to sail. You have to know that this is a small inland lake we live on, they don't sail if the wind gets up too much, and Mom and Dad keep real close track of them on the course.

I am very proud of them and am really looking forward to this summer. I am also looking forward to the day the "old Man" gets his tail kicked by his daughters.

Thanks,

John

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:)
Sounds like the ideal spot for them to learn John.

As for advice on making the boat "kid friendly"- I am serious about reefing the main. They will have more than enough power, they will be able to keep the boat more flat, they will be able to sail in more wind and under gusty conditions, they will have more fun. That and the rudder adjustment as noted by MBounds will help a lot.

One old man to another- have fun! 8)

-Stephen

PS- boy, did I mess up my spelling in my prior post. maybe that is why this little preview button exists ? :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used to sail around sail bay on mission bay single trap by myself at that age. Being a boy I probably had a little more strength, but I was a skinny young kid at one point long long ago(1975ish). Here is what I remember, things that made my sailing life more easy.

First, what are they wearing. Wet Suits, foul weather gear, dry suits? The girls need to be warm and comfortable. The new wetsuits are better than what I used to wear, but a spray suit may be easier to move in.

A good fitting trapeeze harness is important too. I had a great one. Nothing fancy, no spreader, real basic, but comfortable. I borrowed a custom one for one regatta that hurt so bad I was nearly crying by the end of the regatta.

Gloves, to help with grip, try a watersking glove. They are also thinner so they may work better on children's hands.

Life jackets that are short enough not to push up around their faces when sitting and crawling on the tramp. Ones that work well with their trap harness set up as well.

Sunscreen, water, snacks, just like all of us, a little food and water really helps.

Side rails, carpet is ok, but the foam material is easier on your feet and doesn't hold water.

Thinner mainsheet than normal. Some may disagree with this , but it runs through the blocks easier and is easier on little hands. Some of the new line is easy on your hands as well, but a little expensive.

Next, have the crew either help with the mainsheeting upwind or take over upwind completely(except for tacking and such). The crew has two hands and both leggs to sheet in with, so even if smaller, they will be able to pull harder. Many of the top tiger and H-20 crews will do this. It takes some practice, but especially for small girls, this should be the biggest help here.