Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What do you wear?...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:51 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I am just curious to see what people like to wear when sailing on a cool day or in colder waters (especially since I am switching to a mesh tramp). I know this forum isn't shy...so can you share your experiences? Wet suit (what kind)? Spray suit? Dry suit?

I generally wear a full wet suit or shorty. I also have a .5mm long sleeve top that works well as well. I don't have a spray suit as I launch off the beach most of the time, but am curious if folks like them.

Here's talkin at ya!

Drej

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:57 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

It's funny - I grew up in VA, sailed Hobies in the Chesapeake Bay and VA Beach and never owned any "sailing clothes" (including a wetsuit) until I moved to Maine after college. :?

Anyway, I've gotten away from wearing wetsuits, unless it's realatively warm (air and water) and I need the "body armor" on my legs because the wind is up. I find wesuits to be uncomfortable at best and unbearable at worst (when they dry out and you get the rash).

I try to balance being warm with mobility. When you're racing around the buoys, you're doing a lot of ducking under the boom and moving around the boat. That's tough to do when you're bundled up like the Michelin Man.

Anyway, I usually layer up - here's what I bring to a regatta:

Rash guards - short sleeve, long sleeve, full body
Polypropylene long underwear - 2 tops, 2 bottoms (Patagonia stuff is the best, but it's $$) Very thin, very warm.
Drysuit - OS Systems breathable w/ GoreTex feet
Polypropylene socks (to go in the drysuit feet)
Hobie Spray Top - breathable
Spray pants - these are kayaking pants sold at any major sporting goods store (Dick's)
Plain wool hat - like a navy watch cap
O'Neil Farmer John wetsuit
Sailing Gloves - both normal (Harken) and cold weather (Gill)
Teva water "slippers" to cover the drysuit feet.
Sweatpants, sweatshirts, t-shirts

From all of this, I can tailor what I wear to the conditions. My preference is to sail barefoot in shorts and a t-shirt, and I just build up from there.

In most conditions, I'll wear just the spray top with a rashie and a t-shirt underneath.

Sometimes you have to guess about whether you're going to get wet or not; if it's light air, you don't have to dress as warmly, but you could get cold if the wind picks up. It's better to be too warm than to be cold.

You should always wear a hat, especially in cold weather. You'd be amazed at what a difference it makes. The only time I don't wear a hat is when it's blowing too hard to keep one on. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been wearing just a swimsuit and t-shirt (or no shirt), life jacket, and harness. (Well, and gloves). My mom sent me a (full) wetsuit for Christmas and I'm hoping that'll give me a little more courage to go out when it's not as warm. :)

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yeah, Matt I know. We are soft down here now. I bet when you lived in Virginia you always had to beat up wind, whichever direction you sailed....and without a jib. eh? :wink:

Seriously...I do use a wetsuit for fall/spring days when the wind is up. The neoprene does a good job at blocking wind and keeping out splashed water. But, it does get rather bulky and stiff, which I why I have been looking at alternatives for spring sailing (when bay water temps stay pretty cool). I agree, a hat is imperitive on really cold days, makes a huge difference. I have a neoprene cap as well from windsurfing.

Normally, I prefer my shorty and my .5 mm long sleeve top. Its pretty comfortable, and I haven't had too much problem with the rash :shock:

I actually just received an IOU for a full spray suite for xmas (go pick it out kind of thing), but it seems illogical for a full suit on a cat - hence my post. A Dinghy, i could see, but not sure about a cat when I water launch of a beach most of the time. I was considering just getting the top, but not sure if it was redundant with my .5 mil.

Sincerely...

Cold in VA :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I wear a farmer john wet suit for most of the summer. The waters up here never really get warm enough for just the shirt and shorts deal, maybe if I am just going out in light air. As it gets colder, I add a spray top to keep my upper body warm and dry.

I just ordered one of those new "dry shirts" from murrays, so we will see how that works out this season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:46 pm 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
We went sailing on Tuesday and wore only T-shirts and shorts, gotta love this heat wave we are having down here in Florida!!! This weekend it is going to get cold; upper 30's at night, low 60's day

Thanks,
Brad Stephens
www.sunjammers.com
Authorized Hobie/Vanguard Dealer
Hobie Division 15 Chairman
[email protected]
850-235-2281
Panama City Beach, FL

Post subject: I had an early "Wetsuit"
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:02 am 
Site Admin

When I sailed my first regatta... uh... 1978ish? I had a "Wetsuit". It was levis and a windbreaker...WET.

Now I wear the lightest possible stuff. I layer if needed. Sleeveless short john, Spray top. I havn't been sailing lately when it gets colder. A drysuit would be nice, but I sure prefered the sailing in Mexico last year to wearing a wetsuit in cold weather! Lycra top over the 1 mm sleeveless short john. Mostly for chafe and sun protection.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:26 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Quote:
I havn't been sailing lately when it gets colder.

Sissy. :lol:

Check out what Hakan Frojdh was doing in Sweden did last month:

We're getting old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:shock: :shock: OH MY GOD!!! :shock: :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

:shock: I was going to say "sail naked" until I saw those photos :lol: :lol:

Man, don't they have real winter sports in Sweden like skiing, snowboarding, sledding, bikini-team wrestling? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hakan Frojdh
:shock: NOMINATED FOR THE AC/DC BALLS AWARD :shock: :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

In addition to the pictures I loved his quote "It took a lot of hot water to get the sails down"

Who said a picture is worth a thousound words? :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

:lol:We sail in a lot of conditiions in the Northwest. In the 80's we had monthly races in the winter months know as the "Nut Freezer" later this was changed to the more politically correct "Penguin". These races quite often were at or below freezing. Yesterday, at the Seattle Boat Show, other Laser sailors were also lamenting the passing of their winter series races. The new breed apparently is more into the creature comforts in the winter. Although, we still share the passion for downhill skiing.

My personal favorite is to wear a shorty water ski suit, about 6mm with long sleeves. As it get colder, adding layers of Lycra long sleeve shirt, same as used in skiing, then wind pants and Jacket. The most important additon was rubber knee pad, same as used by soccer goalies. On the Hobie 17, you scoot a lot going from wing to wing, and the knees need protection. But the pads also keep the Knee warm, and prevent "lock up" in all conditions. They work well for skiing also. The new Harken sailing shoes work well. Before, I would go thru at least more pair of wet boots a year.
I would avoid dry suits, as there is a danger of cutting them, then filling with water. We nearly lost one of our sailors several years ago, when this happen to him on a sailboard, and he could not get back up.

But, always dress warm, you can always shed as necessary while out there.

Caleb Tarleton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The best thing to wear on a cold day of sailing is a sweat shirt & sweat pants with a TYVEK Protective Wear (made by Dupont) over your sweat suit. You'll be warm & dry & comfortable. Put your sweat pants & TYVEK suit on after you launch & dry your legs off with a towel or rag. Your TYVEK suit is thin, light weight, & wind & water resistant. You can re-use it several times. Just be sure to wear a life jacket in case you capsize. I don't like wearing a wet suit. Too hard to get on & off.[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

tchristian wrote:
Hakan Frojdh
:shock: NOMINATED FOR THE AC/DC BALLS AWARD :shock: :!:

I second the Nomination. Would someone carry the nomination?

I mean holy $hi+ !!

The feeling I felt when I realized what I was seeing was, SHOCK AND AWW!
(I would normaly say my hats off to you. I'll just tip my hat to you instead I'd rather keep my hat on after seeing that. Infact I'll go put on 3 more layers of clothes!!