Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Transducer for AI
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have seen this discussed many times, but I haven't seen a really good solution. The Garmin unit (545s) I am thinking of buying comes with the stern mount transducer for depth and temperature.

So far all I have seen on this site is either mounting it inside the boat and shoot through the hull (fine, but no temperature), or one guy put it through the cart scupper hole. The cart scupper hole doesn't seem like a "clean" installation, and I suspect if I dragged the AI onto the dock the wrong way, I could shear it clean off.

I really want the temperature feature.

The only other solution I can think of is to actually drill a hole in the bottom of the AI and install the transducer the normal marine way.

Is there anything else I should consdier? Where else would the transom mount transducer work on the AI?

Thanks!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am thinking the same way. I have not decided on which GPS/Sonar Unit I want yet. I want a unit I can take from the Sailboat I have to the Kayak. So I need two trans ducers and two power cords. I was thinking of mounting the transducer on a pole that came up through the scabber hole. The line will run up the pole (on the inside) and than on the kayak to the unit. When I was done I would disconnect the line from the unit and drop the pole down. If I get into shallow water I can just remove it. Just a thought.

Don
Las Vegas