Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

For those of you who hadn’t seen I had posted a question about AI access time exchange in lieu of buying a second to go out with the wife. Due to lack of response we have been noodling the idea of a second even with the existing logistical hurdles and wanted to try a joint outing. Since she is a non-sailor I thought her experience would be more positive if I came along compared with just sending her out on ours solo (believe me ensuring a positive spouse experience is a selfish not selfless strategy). I struck out finding one at any local sailing rental concessions. Next step was to call the dealer who clued me in to the following:

http://www.sassafrassailing.com/

Wendy Costa bought 5 ai’s and runs a mini bird watching/sailing instruction/water tour on the Eastern shore. She’s got the ability to trailer all 5 to a location for an event. You can get the rest from the site. As a plug I’ll note that she was an incredibly nice person to deal with and gave us a major drop on the published rate since she didn’t have to provide and instruction, guiding, or transport. This was well worth the 1.7 hour drive. Even if I don’t buy a second I may rent the whole affair one day later in the year to go out with some friends.

Back to buying a second it was a great intro day with about 8-12 wind in the channels and some protected creeks to see with a blue heron rookery. The AI was a big hit with the wife so we may double up. Longer-term the outing also opened her eyes to more benefits of living closer to the water. If that comes together I will personally solve all logistics issues for the first mid-Atlantic AI class outing.

Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If your total weights are not over the 350# rating, I've sat in the back to teach someone new how to handle the AI in light wind/waves for at least a little while. Great find on the AI rentals!

Kayaking Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Howdy!

Regarding teaching your wife how to sail using separate AI's...

Get a couple of hand held VHF radios, with a lanyard to hang 'em around your necks. VHF's are a super important safety item, anyway. It's $ well spent.

You'll find this is a universe better than shouting and wildly gesturing from a distance. It's greatly reduced the "freak factor" my girlfriend was having while being taught to sail her AI.

I'm happy as a clam with the West Marine VHF 55 Handheld: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... assNum=542

It only comes with a worthless belt clip. I threw it away and used the remaining hardware as a base to tie on nylon string, with gave a base to hook on a hardware store lanyard.

Happy Trails!

Chris

you make...
--The Beatles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chris,

Pursuing the topic redirect I had just been looking at handheld VHFs. Waterproof is a must and I was leaning towards forking over the extra $ for a floating model (55 doesn't float). I also saw an online review where someone indicated the 55 has no place to tie a lanyard. Any comments?

Rich

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Howdy!

VHF handhelds are an evolving science.

I went for the non-floating West Marine model after checking out reviews at West Marine and Amazon.

The VHF from West Marine is flawed, but workz. Pay your $ and take you chances.

My point is that the West Marine VHF 55 unit works in my circumstances.

Perhaps not yours.

Happy Trails!

Chris

you make...
--The Beatles