Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Getaway vs H16
PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First of all, I would like to thank the admins and members of this forum for the invaluable information provided here. I've read the majority of the posts in the forum in order to familiarize myself with Hobie Cats and I feel very knowledgeable (again, thanks to all of you)… of course, now comes the hard (fun) part, getting one of these things and go sailing! Woohooo!!

Here’s the dilemma I have. I’ve been reading about both the H16 and the Getaway. And I don’t know which one to get.

I’m 38 years-old, live in Southern California (15 minutes from the ocean) so this cat will be used in salt water. We have two small children (ages 3 and 1) and I want something that I, along with the family can enjoy for years to come. I’ve sailed on a friend’s sailboat before and I’ve been surfing for years.

My questions are: 1) Is one or the other better for ocean sailing? 2) on the Hobie Getaway site, on the pictures and videos, they show children as young as five on it. Will my kids have to wait much longer until they can go on a H16? 3) I have limited space to store the cat. Does the Getaway somehow collapse better or do I have to leave it on the side of the house on a trailer?

Thank you for the tips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

if you plan on going out with more then 2 people often I'd shoot for the Getaway...Even with 3 people we find the getaway slows down drastically....and it was designed for 5 or 6 I believe? So with 3 people on a 16 I'd imagine performance is heavily hurt....unless you're in decent wind. Also with three people on a 16 the tramp might feel cramped...I was just on an 18 with my dad and another guy...Felt a whole lot more cramped then our getaway esp with my dad hes 56 and kind've fumbles about on the tramp while tacking..

As far as the salt water we've sailed our getaway 3 times a week + on the open ocean for the past 3 years....still no rust.

You can take it apart....but I wouldn't want to. Seems like a lot of work

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I would recomend the getaway with wings since you have small children.The additional space gained with the wings and the front tramp gives the boat an incredable amount of room. I also feel the performance of the getaway will not dissappoint you, I find mine a blast!

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Both boats do just fine in the ocean, no clear indicator on that point. You can take the kids now. Don't go out with kids in more than 10 mph. Have the kids in the best life jackets you can buy. Have an adult that is a good swimmer and wearing a life jacket and no sailing duties for each child. The kids will love to ride in the front tramp on the Getaway. The Getaway is 70 lbs heavier than the 16 and the Getaway mast is a bit more trouble to raise. For a reasonably healthy 38 year old these should not be major issues.

For a first time sailboat/catamaran start small. You and the kids will have a whole lot more fun learning on a Wave. You need to flip/turnover/pitchpole (forward roll) a number of times to know how not to do it. On a Wave you can laugh and pop it right back up and crawl easily back on board. Flipping and righting a 16 or Getaway will be freightening for the children and a major effort for you to right the boat and get everyone back on board and underway. If it is an available option 5-10 Wave rentals might be a good way to start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:23 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I agree....get the wings...they slow you down a little (spray hits them) but make the boat VERY comfortable and roomy. Forward tramp is a blast to ride on when you're not worried about pushing the bows under.

Wave is a good starter boat....I agree renting one is a good idea...I wouldn't buy one though..after owning a getaway..the performance disappoint me...

Hell after owning a Getaway for three years I'm looking to step up...but then again I've always got the need for speed...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My 4 year old boy loves our Getaway. We've also taken our 6 month old out twice, and he seems to like it. But we probably won't take him again - just too much for him and us right now.

I don't know the 16, but here's why the Getaway is good for kids:
1. Coolers - you need storage for kids for drinks, snacks, sun screen, extra clothes, treasure maps, etc.
2. front tramp - my son loves looking down through that front trampoline
3. no boom - removes a clear risk

I put a small motor on my Getaway which makes getting in and out a lot easier.

Good luck,

Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree with all that has been posted accept the one adult per kid rule. I take out my three sons all the time. Following the 1 adult rule, that would be 4 adults and 3 children. My kids all swim well and wear life jackets. They are to the point now were they like to flip. I have not flipped since adding a 12v engine. I am afraid the battery will break free.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Trying one out is a good way to go. Are you anywhere close to Santa Cruz? I would be happy to get you on one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have owned both and own a Getaway now. I have a 4 and 6 year old. If you're planning to sail with the kids get the Getaway for sure.

It can hold more weight and has a LOT more space. It is way more comfortable with several people. Also the wings make it seem way more safe for the kids because it helps to keep them on the boat. The forward tramp is awesome for the kids. Mine love to lay on it and hold the front crossbar and get bounced by the waves.

By the way, both my 4 and 6 year old love to trap off the wings. They like to show off by going hands free. I sail on lakes in Minnesota.

I lived in N. County San Diego for a few years and have sailed on the ocean. I'd prefer the Getaway for the ocean too. I think the more bouant hulls would handle waves and chop better but I don't have ocean expericence on these specific boats.

--Doug

Post subject: Re: Getaway vs H16
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If you have kids, and if you really want to take them onboard, then don't hesitate and take the getaway.
Sailing with kids is like sailing solo, plus you constantly worry about them.
The getaway is super easy solo, and in my experience is just a little slower than the 16 (granted that the 16 gives more thrilling sensations though).
You can de-power quickly if need be, your kids can trapeze without affecting the balance of the boat, no boom to worry about, flying a hull is cool...
The boat is way more fun without the wings, but with kids the age of yours, they could be useful.

Having said that however, when the wind hits 15/20 knots and I want the thrill, I go on my friend's Hobie 16...
It turns out that my kids don't want to sail... so I'm about to sail my getaway and get the boat I really wanted for myself!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I did a lot of comparisons between the Getaway, Wave and Hobie 16 last year. I decided to get an H16. However the reason I did is because it's almost impossible in Dallas where I live to find a used Getaway or Wave for anything significantly less then the retail price. If I had the money, I would seriously have considered the Getaway.

I take my 6yr old out by myself on my Hobie 16 on a regular basis, although I sail in a lake and not on the ocean. I'll probably start letting him trap out soon, he wants to do it already.

I haven't taken my 4yr old daughter out yet. I will when the time is right and I have another adult with me. I don't think I would take a 3yr old out on the H16 unless someone else was doing the sailing. Personally I don't think I would take a 1yr old out on my H16 in the ocean under any circumstances.

So, if you haven't decided already here's my two cents. I would go for the Getaway if you have the budget to do so.

'86 H16 #91487

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:26 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You probably bought your Getaway by now, but I'lladd my two cents. I sailed both, and currently own a Getaway (for different reason... very rocky shore).

The Getaway is the way to go with young children. It's much more stable than the 16. With either, you just don't want to capsize with kids on board!

Given the added boyancy in the bow of the Getaway, the front trampoline, the lack of boom, it's a given.

When your kids reach their teens, trade in your Getaway for 16 or whatever will be the equivalent then and have fun. In the meantime, enjoy your safety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Totally agree with the majority of people on this subject; get a getaway. I had a H16 for about 10 years and after a period of abstinence, I bought a getaway. My kids (12 and 10) absolutely love it. Whilst it doesn't have the white knuckle excitement of a 16 in a blow, it certainly gets along and the added room onboard certainly makes up for any slight reduction in performance. It's easy to rig by yourself, exciting enough for anyone except a speed junkie and it really is good at what it's designed for; a brilliant family boat.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, i'm a fourteen year old who's looking to buy a boat, neither of my parents sail, but they can do what i tell them to do adequately out on the water. Price is not really an issue.
So I have 2 questions.

1. would a 16 or a getaway be better :?:
2.I'm about 110lbs, could I singlehand a getaway with no jib in <15knts :?:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:32 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

coraltster wrote:
Hi, i'm a fourteen year old who's looking to buy a boat, neither of my parents sail, but they can do what i tell them to do adequately out on the water. Price is not really an issue.
So I have 2 questions.

1. would a 16 or a getaway be better :?:
2.I'm about 110lbs, could I singlehand a getaway with no jib in <15knts :?:

Coming about is a bit difficult without the jib in a Getaway. If you have some sailing experience, you should be able to handle it alone but backwinding the jib makes coming about much easier. If you don't have any sailing experience, I would recommend the wave for solo practice as mentioned earlier in this thread.