Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stock 20 rudder repair
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:17 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Is my rudder toast when it rips away from the lower grungion sp? bolt. I can't post a pic but, it looks like a monkey with bad teeth took a bite out of my rudder to the lower bolt hole. Is there a fix for this? bondo? anything? I know I need a new one, but is there any luck with a repair? :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:13 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Also, I have an old 18 rudder. Will that work temporarily?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If it's fiberglass, it can be repaired. Depends on how much time/money you want to spend, and what you want it to look like.

The 18 rudder will work, and the holes will be close if it's the post '85 Hobie 18 rudder. You may have a bit of helm. If it's the older style the holes will be off. Fill and redrill. The 18 (later) and 20 rudder castings are the same. Ideally, you want to rake the 18 style rudder under your boat more than the stock holes will allow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jeremy, Thanks for the help. I have a pre 85 rudder and your right, the holes are off far enough that the rudder will not stay in the up position. I haven't had it on the water yet and I assume it will stay in the locked down position OK. Not being able to stay up will cause me problems also, since I keep it on the beach. If I redrill, will I have to redrill both holes or just one? To have them be able to lock up and be raked under.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Well I tried the pre85 rudder without redrilling and it worked temporarily. I wouldn't stay in the locked up position and it's not a large enough rudder and or not tucked under the boat far enough like Jeremy mentioned. As I would fly the hull it would just weather helm out and come back down. I am tryed JB Weld on my trashed rudder and I will see how it comes out. It seems like it might work, of course, I've just jinxed myself. I scattered three two inch screws internally to give it some legs. I will redrill tomorrow and let you guys know how it holds up.