Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello all, jsut checking in.. I went and got an AI this past Sat. I got to get out on it Sunday. WOW what a ride.. I started out in just light wind and had a blast, My Wife and 2 yr old went out to.. As a storm blew up they got out and I went to put it up, but was lured to stay out with the high winds.. what a flippin rush, I love this thing. I'm sailing it on lake Murry in S.C.
Any way just a couple of questions..
The trim line and the furling line. Where should all of al the access rope go..? I don't feel like I have it right because of all of the access.

Also I was thinking of taking it to Charleston this week and sail it off the coast.. any tipss.. I should do a search on this I'm sure..

I'm really excited abou this thing.. My Wife has already said looks like we'll need another one..

Thanks for any help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Warning, It's like a drug. And you can never get enough.

Pretty soon your home will start deteriorating as you put off important tasks because "the wind looks good". Projects will begin backing up and you'll get good at making excuses why the lawn looks healthier when it's long.

And your life will never be the same again !!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:17 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

:lol: haha that sounds about right... yeah, i'm already thinking when I can get out next...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tie the 2 ends together and they will both be handy and the right length. They should put that one in the manual, it was Matt Miller that first told me when I complained.
gwiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for that Gwiz.. that makes sense..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I put the furling line through the little D ring mounted below the starboard side mesh bag and tie a half hitch to make it stay. When the sail is furled, the furling line goes in the mesh bag. I just keep extra sheet line in my lap when sailing, and in the mesh bag when not sailing.

Because I work at a dealership, my wife got to try the AI as soon as we received our first order from Hobie. She quickly informed me that if I bought one, it was going to be hers, not mine. We bought two and a trailer. :D

Post subject: welcome
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

welcome

after 2 AI's you will just have to get a 3rd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Cool set up.. I'm now thinking of transport and storage... I think I'm going to use an existing trailer and set it up something like what you have.. that is a nice set up.. Yeah my Wife is wanting one now.. looks like I;ll be sending some windsurfing geear to make room :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Welcome aboard fufano...

My only tip for taking the A1 to sea is to ensure that you check the wind regularly so you know your way home and to always bear in mind fog or poor visibility.

While you can pedal home, 5 miles is my limit and it happened me recently when visiting a lighthouse. The wind was fine all the way out averaging 5.2 mph but as I headed for home it suddenly died and I had to pedal. Not a problem but I generally like to know my way home is clear where winds can change both in force and direction.

The fog is merely a question of common sense for while it seldom happens where I live, there's no doubt that if caught, I might probably end up in a different country!.

And of course, wash her down very well because the salt is serious.

Happy sailing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great tips Upyaboya.. yeah, I think i will get some lake time first.. had a great session yesterday.. I still am having an issue with the furling and tack lines. Even when I tied them together it still seemed to be a mess with extra lines everywhere. Sorry if I'm being thick in the head, can someone post a picture?

thanks for all the replies .. great forum

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

After tying mine I usually toss it behind the rear aka and let it trail in the water keeps it pulled straight and handy. When the wind is strong and I need to be ready to dump the wind I wrap it around my wrist and hand and use it to hang on.
gwiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 3:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yakaholic gave a great tip when he mentioned that he replaced the furling line with a longer one so he didn't have to lean forward in a hurry to furl the sail. I took his advice and put the slack in the pocket with the cleated rudder line. If I need to be watchful because of gusts, I generally leave the furling line ready for action in my lap.

So far so good, it seems to work well and best of all, I don't have to lean forward to furl in a hurry.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom, Have you had any issues with the Amas rubbing together on the Carnai Trailer?

By the way...How close are you to Panama City?

The 13th International Boating & Water Safety Summit will be held in Panama City Beach, Florida. We ...
www.safeboatingcouncil.org/summit/pdfs/ ... 0final.pdf -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ranger,

It depends exactly where the boats land on the trailer, but they generally just barely clear each other. I run a ratchet strap from the rear crossbar around both boats and back to the crossbar, and they stay put just fine.

We went out this evening. Here's my wife using my sail to beat me down the channel:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another thing you should know about the Carnai trailer: it depends who installed the bunks. The trailer is just a Hobie Wave trailer, and the AI bunks and mast support structure are sold separately. Working at the dealership, I got the great joy of assembling my own trailer. I was able to test fit the boats before drilling holes for the bunks. The aft bunks need to be all the way out at the edges of the rear support arm on the trailer, and it would not hurt to angle the bows of both boats out a little bit to increase separation. I did not do that, but in addition to increasing separation while the boats are on the trailer, having the aft bunk angled outward a bit would make dragging the boats up on the trailer easier. The amas tend to hit the aft mast support post, so the boat has to be pointed outward a bit at that point to clear it.

I really like keeping the boats on the trailer because it makes it easier to use them. I park it in the shade and release all the various bungees when I'm not using the boats. If you try to launch an AI off the trailer without any bungees holding the amas on or in, the results are...welll...kind of funny if you're watching someone ELSE do it, I suppose... ;)