Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hooter for my 21SE
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I found a light weight furling pentex Calvert hooter that fits my 21SE perfectly and it really works great! I have it rigged on a traveling Hobie roller furler from the forward bow tangs and a continuous sheet back to blocks on the aft end of the wings.
It's not for heavy air but amazing in light air. For reaching I run the tack to the center, reef the jib in, and play the sheet.
For close hauling, which it does quite well, I run the tack to leeward and sheet as hard as I can, it's a straight run, no 2 to 1 here, so it's a tough sheet to tug down. I run the jib and main with it and can sail over wind speed upwind when other boats are barely making headway. I need to rig some cleats on the sheet blocks.
I have yet to try and jibe this huge sail, I simply furl it and unfurl it. Tacking it is out of the question, the foot is 19'-6".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On the Farrier Trimarans the hooter/screecher is usually rolled up about 3/4 of the way to tack. I would assume it's the same way on your boat due to similar principals.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I only have about a foot clearance between the jib forestay and the hooter luff so I have to roll it up the whole way. I find that if I leave it centered it interrupts the airflow over the jib luff enough to screw up tell tale reads completely so I run it off to starboard when I'm not using it and I want to keep it up on the mast. I have yet to find a neat way to keep the sheets out of the way of the jib but it shouldn't be a big problem.
I have bigger problems right now, the crossbar bushing has failed on the portside stern tube and I doubt replacement bushings exist. Brian C. at Mariner Sails in Texas is doing his usual great job in trying to run some down but my hopes are not very high on this one. I'm probably going to forced to fabricate new bushings. I'm hoping Brian can help me get the specs, he's been great in the past in finding solutions to my 20 year old boat issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:49 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have to give kudos to Brian C ([email protected]) at Mariner Sails in Texas for the help he has once again provided. I am in no way affiliated with Mariner, just an ordinary consumer.
I had my crossbar bearings on my H21SE let go resulting in some disturbing movement and sound coming from the crossbar/hull connection. I emailed Brian over the weekend and got a reply within hours on a Saturday! He researched the drawings and tracked down the parts for my 20 year old Hobie by Monday. His computer indicated NLA, no longer available, but that didn't slow him down. He found the parts I needed at Hobie and UPS will be delivering them today. It's unfortunate that I have to go to Texas for this kind of service but my local New England Hobie dealers are totally disinterested when I tell them I have a 21SE.
Brian has provided expert advice or will find the information needed to solve my problems, and gets it done fast. Thanks Dog, you're the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You're very welcome. Don't forget to thank Nora @ Hobie for finding these and getting them expedited. Cause the reality is that the crew at Hobie (especially Nora and Matt) make it easy for dealers to look good. It was only through good drawings and their support that I could help the other Brian.

(and my thanks too, Nora and Matt.)

I expect Hooter pics (the sail!) in my email on Tuesday. :wink:

Now I guess I better shower and head to work to see what tall buildings I can leap today. :lol:

Brian C