Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We had about 10-15 knots of wind, just barely making whitecaps on the waves and enough to make an Adventure Island make all kinds of funny noises as my wife and I tore back and forth along Punta Gorda's only beach. :D We were both drenched but grinning! :lol: It would be fun to have pictures or video of our fun, but I'm going to need waterproof cameras for that!

My wife had been complaining that her sail would not tack properly, so I sailed her boat this evening to figure out why. The mast sections are rotating independently. When you unfurl or tack, the top section of the mast rotates along with the bearing, leaving the bottom section misaligned. I had to give a firm tug to get the sail to properly line up with the mast, and I realized I must be twisting the bottom part of the mast so that the tack of the sail would again align itself with the wind. Was that clear as mud?

Anyway, I have seen a couple of references to methods of keeping the sections from rotating. My first thought was duct tape. Does anyone have a solution that is a little less redneck? ;) I want to be able to get them apart, and would rather not have gooey duct tape glue on the mast or sail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I used a piece of yellow duct tape (to match the boat) on the mast and works well. The tip will still move independantly as it's suppose to, but lines up better.

I also am using the colored duct tape to cushion the sail in places it rubs to reduce wear.

Kayaking Bob