Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: one tough boat
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:05 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

had an accidental "washing out to sea" of my beach stored AI in unusual heavy waves and high tide (and an a-hole neighbor pulling the boat out of safe parking spot).

i left boat at about 4 pm way up on beach in my usual safe spot and got home around 11 pm . the waves were huge so i checked on the boat -it was gone!

it was stored with one arma on and collapsed and 2 stand-up paddles bungied on top...

i found the kayak 200 feet down the beach behind a huge piles of rocks with nothing but huge bolders and house pilings all well below the tide line all along the way (no sand)which means it bounced through those "obsticals" in heavy crashing surf !!

the paddles were snaped into peices...destroyed.......the only damage to AI was a snapped rudder pin and bent off ball that the arma cross arm attaches onto and dented rudder pin bracket!!

unreal...........ps...cant print the disscussion i had with my neighbor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I found out how "Tough" my AI is over Labor Day weekend when my AI and my Hobie Mirage Sport both fell off my truck roof while driving about 35 mph on Rt 6A in Cape Cod, Mass. I use cam straps front and rear and a rope from the Sport bow handle through the AI's bow handle then down to the right front tow hook under the bumper of the truck. While driving I heard a crash and saw a flash of red (the Sport) and yellow (the AI) in the right passenger side windows. Luckily no cars were behind me so I stopped quickly and found that I had dragged the two boats next to the truck for about 30-40 ft. with the bow rope which had wrapped around the right front axle of the truck 4 or 5 times. On inspection, I found out that one of my cam straps had broken - tore right through the nylon. I used the same set for several years in a row, which I guess is a no-no. I can't figure out how my truck's right side mirror emerged from the incident unharmed and my right-side radio antenna (next to the hood) was not even bent!

The AI rudder shear pin did it's job well and the only rudder damage was a small roughened area on the leading edge. One of the 2 ropes of the bow handle on the AI was torn but the metal loop holding it onto the boat was fine. Other than a few minor superficial scrapes, the only other damage to the AI (which I bought in May 2008) was to the rear crossbrace, the starboard end of which was bent right around facing back toward the boat. No cracks in it as posted on some photos in this forum - it's as solid as ever but bent around 180 degrees. The Mirage Sport actually had no damage that I could find (it already had several scratches before and I couldn't tell which ones were new). I called my dealer (New England Small Craft in Rowley, Mass) when I got home to Durham, NH and they had my new rear cross brace in the store in 3 days from special order (cost $100) and I bought a new rudder shear pin and bow handle. I sailed/pedalled 11.2 miles on a 2 1/2 hour trip on the Oyster River and Great Bay today with no problems! :o

Ken Shuman
Durham, NH