Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Island Revolution
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A couple down from Pa. have an Island and a Revolution they were considering making a Bay crossing the trip would be about 50 mile all together without tacks.

I was wondering if we could lash his Revo in between our Islands so we could make the crossing together anyone tried something like this? If so how did it go?

I told him we would pull our drives for less drag and he could do all the pedaling, He didn't seem thrilled with that idea.
gwiz

Post subject: Island Revolution?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Put best sailor 30' out front towing 2nd AI (also under sail and peddaling) then tow revolution 30" behind it peddaling. Sounds like fun--but setup a quick release in the shipping channel.

Enjoy! :mrgreen:

SW Gulf Coast: Sarasota to Keys

I'm not completely useless. I can always serve as a bad example.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

it went much better than I though

http://youtube.com/watch?v=81sNCothHXo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yakman that did seem to work pretty well. My main concern is if both sails on the Islands would be effective. I would want to basically lash the amas of the the Islands possibly to the Revo's side kick bars in the rear and a bungee cord across the front. That way the sails would have at least as much distance as the Trifoiler has.

It is going to be an all day sail in ideal conditions so my idea is to do it on a 16' X 25' Island where we could talk and be together while making the journey. We will probably try the setup and see if we can get it to work well enough to make a Bay crossing.
gwiz

Post subject: how did you do?
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:42 am 
Site Rank - Captain

gwiz wrote:
Bay crossing.
gwiz

how did it go, which Bay?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Quote:
how did it go, which Bay?
The mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, we haven't tried it yet. The couple went back to Pa. for a week but should be down soon for another month.

We are having our dog days of summer now which means not much wind and a good chance of severe afternoon thunder showers, not good for a Bay crossing attempt.

Hopefully we will get a chance to try out some configurations and test feasibility by attempting to sail a course close to shore and then maybe the Bay but we wouldn't have much in the way of equipment nor a chase boat.

It is about 40 mile round trip and is very doable on an Island in a day but not to sure it could be done hooked together. If so though it should open up a whole new world of possibilities. :D

On your seal I would recommend goop. I used silicone the first time and a vinyl repair glue the second both did a much neater job than the goop but nether lasted long. The goop is there to stay and I used plenty.

I also have a feeling that I am getting water under the mast fitting on the deck. I noticed it because of the hull getting water into it when it rains. The way it sits on my trailer the water will pool up against the rise in the front deck ahead of the mast cup.
gwiz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Standard way for 2 sea kayaks to tow a 3rd kayak is to fashon a 30-40' line from each kayak to the towed kayak--sort of, a V-formation.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Towing might work with 2 pulling but from my experience it is almost impossible to tow and sail. You just keep going in circles.

The object is to turn 2 Islands and a Revo into a sailing party barge. It might well be just an unmanageable mess. There have been other threads about hooking 2 Islands to make a tandem but as far as I know none have.

I feel it could be done easily using the Revo's sidekick supports bunged to the rear akas and piece of pvc run between the front akas and attached by bungee to the Revo. It could be detached easily in the event of bad weather or other problems.

I know it wouldn't be the fastest of crafts I would just like to see if it is possible and if it would open up new possibilities. I wonder if the akas would plug into the Revo's scuppers? :?

It would probably be best to leave the akas and amas off and just use pvc attached to the crossbars and bungeed to the Revo less chance of damage to anything but it would make splitting up at sea risky.
gwiz