Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sounds like someone from Texas will be coming to the Iowa Hobie Regatta this summer to thank his friend in person. (Hint-hint.)

H-16 Sail #23721
Big Marine Lake, MN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jeff, I love Big Marine Lake! About 4 years ago we came up to the race there and the wind was pretty dead, so I took my fishing pole out on the boat (H-16) and casted for Crappies all afternoon. I must have caught 20! Next time I am bringing my muskie bucktails. I hear your lake is killer for Tiger Muskies and Muskies!
I hope you're coming down to Clear Lake in May!
cw 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm strictly a recreational sailor. I don't have the competitive blood. Tim Johnson, and also that guy from Thunder Bay, are occationally trying to get me to race.-They have gotten disgusted (only a bit) with me, cause I don't. So I stick to sailing close to home.

Big Marine is a great lake. Best for fishing bass and crappies. Occationally a big northern is taken, but the pressure on the big fish is very strong, and that has taked a toll. Lots of "snakes" and "hammer handles". The glory days for northerns and muskies were the 1970's and earlier.

H-16 Sail #23721
Big Marine Lake, MN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike Madge is the guy from Canada (lurks here often)
Race or don't race, its up to you. I live for the competetion, but to be honest, my two teens and my kindergartner love the off lake races because of all friends we've made and the fun of camping (with purpose. I hate camping without purpose!) and the food and beer etc......
Minnesota's Fleet 52 is a great group, so are the Waconia catamaran guys and I have been paying attention to what the Wisconsin guys are doing too. Mostly wrong brand of boats, but those guys in WI know how to have a good time!
The reason they don't do the race there anymore is the place they had it, somebody with a really nice house and hundreds of feet of beach, must have sold their house and there is no place to have it. They have since moved their regatta to Green Lake in Spicer Minnesota and had a good turn out last year.
Hope I see you at an event sometime, we have a good one in Clear Lake 3rd week of May. The local Hobie Dealer will be there with parts and a seminar on 'how to....' again this year.
cw

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah, Ray Richardson had the property that Fleet 52 used. He got bought out as part of creating a new County Park. Tim was hoping, in the future, to get the County to allow the regatta to return. I doubt they would allow beer drinking, though. (Bummer). --See Ya

...now, back to the topic of this thread...

H-16 Sail #23721
Big Marine Lake, MN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oh yea, the topic at hand. I am 'selling' my 16 to our boy in Texas. Registration and all.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

See my new thread:
Can't beat 'em join'em hell with that. Beat Em! every time..