Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Down wind sailing
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Has anyone made a whisker pole for broad reaching or down wind sailing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Check out the Barber Hauler that xavier designed for the boat - search on "barber hauler"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One reason I like the AI is its simplicity. Adding a Barber Hauler complicates that. I like the simple solutions suggested on the link: http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/5086057385/m/2971069093?r=2971069093#2971069093
I have not used the bungee cord approach, but I have used KayakingBob's simple line solution. It works quite well.

Keith

Post subject: Re: Down wind sailing
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

kayakinriverotter wrote:
Has anyone made a whisker pole for broad reaching or down wind sailing?

kayakinriverotter
I searched downwind AI sailing, Barber Hauler, whisker pole etc. and like most of the mods I see on this forum. I decided to try my paddle as a whisker pole instead and I believe I have a solution that will work. I have included 5 photo in progressively more detail as links for those with more interest.
I have a week of blowboating (sailing) in SW michigan starting this saturday and will report how it works.
I envision stronger downwinds raising the paddle (aka whisker pole) up significiently, possibly to the point where the mast notch in the paddle may slip off the mast. I will make the notch deeper in this case.
I really have little issues with a modification to the paddle (basically a usless appendage for an AI - except for a reverse gear). My original paddle broke as a wave caught it while stowed on the port side. The replacement paddle is a few inches shorter than the Hobie and seems stronger.
http://home.fuse.net/songroot/boat_mods/paddle_as_wisker_pole.jpg
http://home.fuse.net/songroot/boat_mods/paddle_in_place_showing_near_90_degree_angle.jpg
http://home.fuse.net/songroot/boat_mods/paddle_to_mast_detail_in_place.jpg
http://home.fuse.net/songroot/boat_mods/paddle_to_mast_detail_showing_machined_notch.jpg
http://home.fuse.net/songroot/boat_mods/paddle_notch_to_hold_outer_end_detail.jpg

Post subject: Hey Songroot
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:46 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great photos! I'm probably one of the few that actually paddles my AI! But you gave me some great ideas for a whisker pole. I've already made one, but haven't tested it yet. I was planning on just holding the inboard end of it, but I really liked how yours connects and rotates on the mast. Thinking up an adapter to make mine do that!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have built a prototype onto my boat, but I'm already unhappy with it and plan to change it after trying it under sail. I'd be interested in any comments.

Photos

Video

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

After tweaking the system many times, I ended up removing my original barber-hauler. I did the bob going downwind, but got to be a nuisance the rest of the time.

I'm now experimenting with "broomsticks" and other assorted poles to control the downwind sail shape. I'm sure I'll find another use for these spare pullies and blocks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I still haven't gotten out to try mine out, but now I'm wondering if there is a way to fit a wishbone boom to an AI and have it work with the roller furling? That would provide a lot of sail shape flexibility on every point of sail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

We got out yesterday evening to test the new "barber hauler" rig on the Adventure Islands, and I was well pleased with the test. The ability to haul the sail out on a run is nice (saves me from using my arm as a reaching strut), and I discovered that the barber hauler also gives fantastic control of sail twist on a reach. The last bit of this video shows me messing with sail twist a little bit:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgZNUS3AAv8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello.

Tom Ray, i tried a similar model of your barber hauler. But i was dissapointed with it: The lines tied to the amas handle don't let me paddle when furled the sail. Paddle is a must for me.

After that, i tried tying the lines at the front akas. The system worked well at down wind sailing and with the sail 60% furled. But i still found the drawbcks are major than advantages.

I still haven't found a proper solution for the barber hauler.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi agust_inp,

I only use my paddle rarely. Just around docks or beaches when I want to go backwards or turn tight. The Mirage Drive has made the paddle almost obsolete to me.

I like the paddle converted to a whisker pole by songroot above, but I'm not sure I'm ready to mangle my paddle. ;)

Post subject: Just bought a
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just bought a telescoping boat hook from Boater's World. Plan on sticking the hook end either through the grommet on the sail (tight fit) or through the blue rope loop. If the wind comes back here and I'm able to get a house sold, I might get a chance to try it out! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are you going to make the whisker pole rotate on the mast, kro?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:15 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

No, planning on holding the inboard end. I did this with the paddle and it worked well, except that the paddle kept slipping off the sail. Another benefit of this is that, by holding on, you are effectively pushing the sail forward so that in light airs it won't flop so much. I remember from my sailing days those days when there wasn't much wind and I'd have to move forward and push the boom out so that it would catch any light puff that might be out there.

Post subject: downwind sailing
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been using a whisker pole (an extendable boat hook with snap hooks added at each end) since I got the AI more than a year ago and it works great! You can really wing the sail out. When not in use, it lays across the akas.