Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I bought my originall Hobie 16 a year 1 1/2 years ago... I never registered it, and never had any problems... Now I have purchased 2 more h-16's over that time working on mine... I have no papers from any boat to register with... can I register it as a home built boat... how would I do that? both pontoons have 2 different serial numbers... I live in Texas... so if you know anything about it in Texas please let me know!

Post subject: Contact your DMV
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

Contact your DMV or registration service and explain the situation. Not like they haven't heard of this before. Plenty of "home built" stuff of all kinds out there.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

thats prolly what i'll do... Register it as a homebuilt boat...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

As far as I know ... the home build strategy works only for a boat that is as the word suggests - home build. Here in Austin it is Parks and Rec. that registers boats. If you go the home build route you will be asked to present receipts for building material to support the home build attempt. I think it will be quiet difficult to “sell” a Hobie 16 as a home build boat since there are to many of them around and even non sailors and the Parks and rec. guys know that this is a mass-produced boat.
Before I found my Hobie I considered some other cat and trailer combo without any paperwork. The parks and Rec guys made it sound like a big PITA to trace the history of the boat and to register it. It sounded difficult enough at the time not to buy the boat. According to Parks and Rec. it is an easier process if the boat was previously registered in TX and a TX hull # is available.
Regarding the non-matching hull # - if it is too much of an issue – make them match.
If I am not confused you were looking for some more used stuff… I think I mentioned that there is still a blue Hobie 16 ‘82(?) in Austin. Hulls looked solid, trailer looked o.k. tires, sails, tramp and all cordage is bad. – this one comes with paperwork that allows registration.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

no title no registration....

thats what they told me... the lady was being a (censored).... there has to be a way to register a boat... i have spent too much money on the damn thing... I dont know if the homebuilt option works.... although I have purchased every single thing for my boat speratly...

this blows...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

There is away let me research it first but I know there is away. You may have to use the LBJ approach :twisted: but it will work in Texas. A few years ago my dad bought a Catalina 22 in Oklahoma and some how was last registered in Texas no title with the boat. He got it done let me talk with him I'm positive he will have some insight.

Todd C

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I know in Rhode Island if a vehicle or boat is more than 10 years old you don't need a title. All you need is a bill of sale to register it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

see my new thread: Can't beat 'em join'em hell with that. Beat Em! every time..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

if a boat doesn't have an engine then it doesn't have to be registered in NY