Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:05 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi, I used to race 16's back in my 20's before going on to racing bigger boats. Havent sailed in the last 3 years and was considering a 17S. I found a '90 for sale near here. Would this be a good boat to get my GF into sailing? Also, is it racable for me by myself? How does it stack up against other cats speedwise? Any comments would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I dont know if a hobie is the best to get her started, show off maybe :wink: , butnot to start off a sailor. Perhaps something a bit more tame, like almost anything.

I don't know about specific speeds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey Chris N Jax,

The biggest problem with the 17 is that the hull volumes aren't really made for two people. Depending upon your total weight (I won't dare ask a woman :P ), if might be sluggish with two people on board. When racing, the 17 is made to race solo, but not the sport version. The official class if for the normal version, without a jib.

If you raced 16s before, why don't you look for another? Their kind of like "Texas Hold 'em"...Easy to Learn, A lifetime to Master. Your familiarity with them would probably help build her confidence on the boat more quickly. They sail with two better than the 17s do (although I really like wings). They are also generally available used for really good prices. I don't know what area you are in, but you will also find good racing still on 16s and maybe could get your girlfriend to crew with you.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:42 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does this mean it has been race modified? I really like the wings and it would mainly be for me to sail and race. How extensive a mod to take a stock 17 sport to race ready?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey there! There have been a couple great discussions you might like to check out. This one comes to mind (what little mind I seem to have left :roll: )

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=1364

At the first sign of storm we sail !! :twisted: