Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

Ask and receive! A new Kayak Sailing Forum!

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anybody out there using the Tandem with the sailing option? I think it would work pretty good as it looks a bit more streamlined than the Outback.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I haven't the foggiest how to sail anything - but I have a Mirage Sport and will acquire the sail kit in a few weeks.

SO - to anyone who has any ideas/tips etc - comments and advice would be most welcome.

I do most of my kayaking in FL estuaries. They're fairly shallow (under 4'), muddy and have no large waves. There's a little bay within a bigger bay within Tampa Bay that may suit for the first run.

Am I going to fall over a lot? How easy/hard is it, REALLY, to get the sail up and down? How much room do I need to sail? I suppose going up and down the channel sailing would be a little tricky??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Marie,
Welcome to the site. Sailing these is a lot of fun, but when you start try to find a day when the winds are not more than about 10 knots or so. As you tack, or come about, use your Mirage drive pedal power to speed up as you change direction. This seems to increase stability and prevent you from heeling over too far. Be sure to try it out in water deep enough to use the Mirage drive (over about 2 feet in depth), and stay out of any boat channels in the vicinity. You should have the right-of-way, but not all powerboat owners pay attention to the rules of the road, unfortunately.

Also leave the Mirage drive flippers fully extended as you sail since the flippers act like a centerboard on a regular sailboat to keep you from slipping sideways, and will allow you to sail upwind and tack. You know the flippers are fully extended when the pedals are side by side. When you come into shore, just pull one pedal as far back as possible. Hobie, in their wisdom, has installed a bungee and hook on the starboard side just for the purpose of securing one pedal pulled back as far as possible. This in turn folds the flippers up against the hull so you don't damage them as you come into shallow water (or suddenly realize you're over an oyster bar!).

Install the sail before you set out and take it down after you return to the beach. You can install it on the water, but there does not seem to be much point to that while you are learning the ropes. Carry your paddle installed in the gunwale bungee (after using it to get out into open water), and be sure you wear a PFD. If you know someone with another yak, or a small boat, it might help your confidence if they are around while you are learning. Basically, just go with the flow (of the wind, that is), and you should be fine. You will get the hang of it fairly quickly, and pretty soon it will all become second nature.
Best of luck, and have fun!
Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you very much! Targeted purchase date is April 10 - 'celebrating' 3 months of dieting and getting a bonus from work.

Post subject: Celebration!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 8:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Marie wrote:
Thank you very much! Targeted purchase date is April 10 - 'celebrating' 3 months of dieting and getting a bonus from work.
Get out on your Hobie often and dieting may be a thing of the past. Exercise has never been so much fun as it is pedaling on the water. For me though, sailing is a conflict of interest. I love to pedal the Mirage for the aerobic benefit and weight control.

Up goes the sail and there I am moving through the water at a decent speed WITHOUT pedaling. But I want to pedal to get that endorphin high, good feeling, and weight control, too. Guess what? The Mirage, like Windows, is a multasking environment. You can sail it and pedal it at the same time. Now that is a Bonus! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Willard wrote:
Anybody out there using the Tandem with the sailing option? I think it would work pretty good as it looks a bit more streamlined than the Outback.

I'm about to purchase a Tandem but have heard that you cannot use the sail with two people on the kayak. If so, this is a huge design flaw!

Can someone confirm or deny this please? If confirmed, is there a way around this?

Thanks in advance,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gthomas wrote:
To use the sail kit with the Tandem Mirage there is a scupper hole under the forward seat pad in which an adapter fits which accepts the mast of the sail. Therefore you can use the Tandem with a sail kit but only with one person, unless of course you have a smaller person that can sit in the footwell area of the forward seating position (a bit uncomfortable for anybody but a kid or dog).

Scott,
The above is a quote from Greg Thomas, one of the site administators, about this from another part of the Hobie Forum. So what you heard is apparently correct.

It does seem like not much thought was given to this, but Hobie does not incorporate what to you and me seem like design flaws into their products, based on my limited experience. If I had to guess, the person in the forward seat might have been so close to the mast (and sail) that it might have been somewhat of a safety hazard as the sail whipped back and forth. However, there are mast-mounting kits available for non-Hobie yaks, and you might be able to design a better solution yourself by mounting a mast further forward and slightly higher to provide more clearance.

Check out the recent article in Sea Kayaker magazine on kayak sailing to see what I mean (April, 2005, page 30).

Last edited by Apalach on Tue May 03, 2005 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Apalach... I didn't get no steenking BOOM with my Outback sail kit. Did I get short changed or is that hot Florida sun getting to ya? :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dang Noalias--you didn't get a boom with yours? Wonder where mine came from? Must be the Florida sun...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

xxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 7:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just buzzin' ya pal. Have you been sailing that Outback much? I find I'm too wrapped up in fishin to sail a lot. With more practice I think I will try some trolling while under way with wind power.
All BS aside, your posts and photos are a great help for all that visit this site. Happy Cinco de Mayo!! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Would you believe I was thinking about saiing a HobieCat at the time? I haven't been out for a while (obviously!) since I'm getting over knee surgery. Hope to correct that in the very near future. I also haven't been trolling and sailing at the same time, although those who have tried it say that it is doable, but can be a bit tricky I would think. Also haven't tried any Dupont Spinners-don't imagine they would go over too well with the Marine Patrol around here... Cinco de Mayo-yeah! Plan to hit our local On the Border for a few Coronas and Margaritas tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 8:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
I'm about to purchase a Tandem but have heard that you cannot use the sail with two people on the kayak. If so, this is a huge design flaw!

The Tandem Mirage had already been out for quite a few years before we ever imagined putting sails on kayaks. Therefore it's not a design flaw on the Tandem since the sail came after the design of the kayak. At the time of putting sails on the kayaks, the best option to use the sail on the Tandem was as it was designed and currently exists. Anything different would require a change to the mold which is a timely and costly endeavour which some day we may pursue.