Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Guys,
Many have asked about the mods to my boat and as it is sitting uncovered in my driveway its a good time to take pics and give explanations. I have Tiger main, self-tacking jib, mid-pole spin, custom downhaul( gonna rework) and several other mods. What are you guys interested in seeing first? Second? etc.......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Would like to see all, different placements etc. I would suggest the Tiger 12 to 1 downhaul - seems like a good mod. (With crew it may be overkill)

Self tacking jib has got to be no 1. Spinnaker and then spinnaker and then spinnaker.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike,
your spinnaker rig.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would like to see it down here on the beach :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Took some pics last night. First is the mast setup. My mast is a SX, it had the SX spin tang already installed. The SX tang is too low for the F18 spin so I added a H14 tang higher. The Tiger calls for the tang at 26'8", that placed the tang half way up the comptip and I was uncomfortable with that so the tang was mounted at 25'. Some would fly the spin from the tang but again I was uncomfortable with that. The rivets can pull out of fiberglass very easily in tension, under sheer they will hold. So, we added the bail below the tang to create that sheer effect on the rivets and by running the bail around the comptip it utilizes the complete strength of the tip. A simple block threaded onto the bail works great.

Any questions about this part of the set-up?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I run a continuous halyard for launching and retrieving. The line goes from the head of the spin thru the block on the bail, down the mast thru the right spreader and in the block and cam mounted on the crossbar. From there it runs across the tramp to the rear and thru a bungee mounted twing line block and back up, under the crossbar and into the snuffer sock. I have 3 retrieval points on my sail and use rings at the bottom 2 and tie off at the top. When retrieving the upper point and the lower two come together and then the whole sail pulls into the sock. Since I changed to a mid-pole from the original end-pole snuffer I had to change how the tack attached. On the endpole system it just ties off at the end of the pole, on a mid-pole it can be pulled out with the halyard or with a separate tack line, I choose the separate line. Its impossible for me to rig the spin pole with the boat on the trailer so I will have to wait to get additional pics. Heres some of the front crossbar to show placement of the blocks, cams etc. Also pic of spin sheet blocks, placement of these will vary based on pole length, spin cut, etc. You want to sheet evenly on the foot and luff. Tigers run the first block at the shrouds, the 18 is longer from the crossbar to the shroud so my blocks were mounted in the deck. There are large washers inside to spread the load on the deck. The deck was drilled, filled and drilled again to insure a tight seal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Some more pics

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thats all I have time for today. Ask all the questions you got, I'd like to see some other hotrod 18s out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the pictures. I had set my spinnaker with the sheets rotating around the first set of blocks at the shrouds. It was too far back. I plan to get a pair of Harken carbo 40s and set those at the front cross bar and see what the spin looks like. It may have to wait untill next year as things look to be cooling down rapidly in MI.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:17 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Wow, what a dream boat! i love your set up...NICE!
I'm going to put a chute on my boat this winter. I'll definitely be calling upon you for some advice.

cya

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Simply stunning!

At present due to finances, I am doing a spinnaker conversion month by month, so by seeing what it should look like really helps.

I noticed that where your spin pole attaches to the front crossbar, it is quite low due to your self tack jib hardware, does that affect you in waves etc.

I have installed my spin blocks on the jib block slide track plate instead of the decks, is there any advantage to mounting on decks.

Is that a cover for the jib that is attached to the mast.

Difficult to see, but have you retained the standard main traveller. I was contemplating the Tiger version, I do not trust my car under load.

Saw a H16 spinnaker snuffer that I call the toilet seat which seems to be quite effective, waves cannot push spinnaker out snuffer like the Tiger version. Would like to see your spin pole and snuffer. (Got to be careful with wording that)

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mike,
I never would have imagined the spin blocks mount that far forward. You're using a stock Tiger spin right? I too had wondered about using the jib tracks for the spin blocks, thinking there had been a H18 jib upgrade... other than the Tiger self tacker. So having the spin blocks up farther keeps the foot of the sail inboard, compared to a block mounted way aft. No wonder you refer to sailing a very hot downwind angle.

When she's rigged, I'd love to see the pole setup.

I too, hope to assemble a spin rig by next spring. Should I bother with a carbon-fiberglass pole from a sailboard mast?.. or stick with an aluminum pole? 12 feet right?

Thanks for posting, look forward to more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My spin pole attachment was another choice item. Hobie makes a bracket for the 18 to attach the spin pole, it is a large piece and it must be removed to remove the tramp. So, I choose to use the Tiger spin pole attachment bracket. The only place it could be mounted was below the tramp track lip on the bottom of the crossbar. It doesn't drag in waves at all, not an issue. What is an issue with that bracket is the fact that it is held on by only 2 rivets. I have recently been having problems with bowline knots on dyneema, they will slip under strong load. I use dyneema for my pole bridles and I like the pole pre-bent. When the knot slips the pole lifts, when the pole lifts the tack line lifts, when the tack line lifts it wants to un-cam. And then we have a powered up chute blowing loose from the bottom, first time it happened I thought the whole rig was gonna tear off. It racked that little bracket something terrible, almost tore it off. I may change to the larger one this winter.

I really don't like the idea of setting your blocks on the jib track, it hooks the foot of the spin too much. Spin sails are almost always run off the outer most of the hull. A spin creates alot of air and by pulling it in from the jib track you are chokeing(sp?) off the flow and most likely backwinding the main as well. Your spin will never run as hot as it should rigged in this manner. Setting the blocks in the deck was not my first choice but it is where they belong.

I run a F18 spin and the newest Tiger mid-pole snuffer system, the pole is 12'. I am really pleased with this pole system, better than the end-pole I started with. I also have bridles in the middle of the pole to limit side deflection, this is critical IMO. The pole can really bow and move if not secured, especially in 15kts +.
I think I've answered all the questions so far, I may take her to a race next weekend, if so I get some rigged photos.
Later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Is your self tacking jib still a roller furler. How do you find the power difference between jib and std h18 genoa. (love the power from this jib)

I personally prefer your mod to std, getting rid of the blocks in the way is a huge plus, easier for solo use. Is it worth it in the long run ?

Did not think that a bowline would slip under load - thanks for that tip.

Found that the price of Tiger sails here are far too expensive, even used. Will have to go for Pentex. (Half price of tiger)

Have you measured your speed with spinnaker up etc.

Sorry bout the 20 million questions, but out here most 18's are stock std and SE.

Any rigging pics ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The jib can furl but the lines for the self-tacker prevent it from furling completely. There is a power difference between the 2 jibs, its hard to tell where the difference is. It seems that a stock 18 powers up quicker than my boat but only momentarily. I then proceed to walk down and pass even well sailed 18's. The tradeoff is more than worth it IMO. the ease of tacking upwind and down is impressive. Roll-tacking is now super easy as my crew can stay on the wire until I'm head to wind and then slip under the boom and back out on the wire, jib is allready trimmed. Downwind with the spin out all the crew needs to worry about is jibing the chute, which is really fast. I think the self-tacker is the best mod I've done.
I have not measured my speed with a device but against standard 18s upwind I am only slightly faster. Downwind is another story. One of the 18 sailors suggested that we where turning on a turbo booster when the spin filled. Said he would be gaining on us as we were raising the spin and as soon as it filled we were gone. We were beating the 18s by a full rounding many times. Got second to a Wave at the last race, had to give him 30 mins or so.