Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pacific Action Sail
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm looking at a Pacific Action sail to increase the sail area on my Adventure Island when running. Looks like there is enough room on the bow to mount it.
And, it might even act as a free-standing jib for reaching and beating? Not sure about this, but it might work.
Or, mount it behind the seat to act like a Mizzen, but I'd have to figure out what to do with the mainsheet. The main reason I can think of to do this is that the bow already has a tendency to go under, maybe any increase in sail area would be better placed somewhere aft. Of course the balance would be affected, etc.
Hmmmm.
Might just have to buy one and commence playing!
Man, this is fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:44 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Did you ever try their sail? I have been using the small size on a SOT kayak for a couple of years.

Post subject: sail
PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i reckon the Action Sail would be a handful and conflict with the AI rig and as you said the bow might go under more, plus it definately wont work like a jib.

I have been thinking of trying to get more downwind power also for racing, so was wondering about a small radial head spinaker which should give lift (to the bow).

A cheaper option, but probably frowned upon by sailing fraternity is to include a beach umbrella on board for downwind running (in light winds). If the umbrella has a centre pivot clamp then any angle can be created to allow siting in fishing rod holder hole, place it in hole furtherest away from sail, with angle of clamp at say 120 degress, it should sit nicely provided you dont have to gybe. Strong winds may make it a handful though!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hah! Before anyone scoffs at the beach umbrella thing, I sailed my 11' Boston Whaler Sport with a beach umbrella once, and it went along nicely! :D I have also sailed other powerboats using Bimini tops. Downwind, square feet count a lot more than shape! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Ya'll
If you really want to add some downwind sail power that could possibly even add lift to the bow and a bunch more speed to your AI you might want to check this thing out.
Its made by Windpaddle and its a real blast to use, very simple to deploy or douse and works great as a second sail for our Hobie kayak. http://www.windpaddle.com/default.htm

They make two different sizes and both will mount easily to your bow then stays neatly folded up to the size of a large pizza until you are ready to use it. 8)

We got one this summer and used it sailing on our tandem Oasis with excellent results.

They just came out with the larger size sail (yellow one in the first photo above) last month which would add 17 square feet of sail to your bow.
We were even able to sail mine on a beam reach last time out in light winds so they are not just strictly a downwind sail 8)

Have Fun
Kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:09 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Very interesting. Do you have to hold on to the control lines or can you just let it do its thing??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Ya Element :)
You can hold it in hand or cleat it down somewhere once you have it in trim etc.
Its your pick either way. :wink:
Kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Kepnutz - looks interesting for adding more downwind power to my AI, i think that the larger size could be luffed by the mainsail, but the smaller one should get full wind, what do you think?

Might be a bit a bit too big to fit the larger windpaddle sail anyway in front of the mast, what about being able to launch and douse to folded shape, do you think that easy enough from where AI sailor sits, that is can it be done without having to scamper forward?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd LOVE to see somebody posting pictures of this sail being used on the AI.

Happy Trails!

Chris

you make...
--The Beatles

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'd LOVE to see somebody posting pictures of this sail being used on the AI.

Happy Trails!

Chris

you make...
--The Beatles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 7:34 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The pop out sail is an addition I will try. Have attached V sails behind the seat.. cargo area. Drilled board..mounted and straped to fishing rod holders well 1 1/4 #80 pvc. Also sometimes mount trolling motor from same. Sheet line pulley to ama out of the way. Sail can be diffcult to mount...often use smaller size 3' model. Pop out type in high wind... hand / strap held sounds good for 1/2 hr or so. V+ main + pop out I would surely be a sight down lake. The v sail can be mounted to the right / left / center / with counter balance for trolling 8 lb thrust. Ehco Lake has alternative power day ...mabey next year...I did try the v-sail belted to the front with factory suction cups..bow went down with a gust the whole thing fell off in the water. v- From behind secure mounting all is good so far. Wish I could manage the pictures like other post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Kepra
So do you still run the Pacific Sail.?
I was thinking of trying one of those as well and was concened about putting too much downward force on the bow.
Kepnutz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

kepnutz

The brand spirit sail mounts to a common fishing rod base plate. If mounted at the rear it does not drive the front down. The PA sail if mounted at the front may have the same actions as your pop up. PA rotates at ball joints. Spirit sail just rotates at top and bends into position with light rope if desired. I'am thinking the pop up with v-model at rear no main. Can't have to many types stored under the hatch for fun choices. The spirt must be hand mounted, not as easy to deploy as PA, can be hand held... but get tired fast. That post about beach umbrellas will get a try next season cause of the mounting into the rod holder and use at the beach. The ride you had this year at emerald bay may be one of the best for the season. dl bliss park is a good launch location. Wait untill my wife sees the umbrella idea in conjuction with other sails she may paddel faster to get away from me. A mid size sun shade could be usefull in the heat.

Post subject: Re: Pacific Action Sail
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What about a simple sail like the PA for AI owners who sometimes just need to be in "Adventure" mode without the mainsail and outriggers?

I am close to buying a PA sail just to harvest those opportune following breezes while paddling or pedalling since it folds away easily and can Reach to some extent.

An article on Top Kayaker stated that the AI was very suitable for such a device as it tracked well and had good roll stability as a mono-hull.

More when it happens..

Post subject: Re: Pacific Action Sail
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Skymax,
The standard 20 sq/ft Hobie sail goes very well with the AI in Adventure mode. I use it regularly and it will give you a genuine into the wind sailing experience. With just the daggerboard in (no drive) my GPS showed an average of 4.5knots over 30 mins and a max of 7.4knots on a recent broadreach in 15-20knot winds. :) Great fun!