Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast Base = Mast Step
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 12:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ok i replaced my '74 mast base (the old hook style) with a new one, went great, but I noticed the last time I went out, the old mast step on my boat is angled forward, thus it stops my mast from rotating, I filed it down, and it works good but it looks like the part that stops the mast from rotating on the end of the stop is too worn down. Has anyone dealt with this problem? Is there a fix with out changing the mast step, (nightmare)??

I took my old '74 out this weekend 78degrees and sunny! It sailed like a dream! Thanks for everyones help with fixing her up.

Luke

Last edited by flocktothewall on Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Been there, done that!

Did the same thing with a 1975 16, and your right. They changed the mast base and mast step in later models to allow for more mast rake (New forestay is longer too). So you will to get a new shrouds, at least a new forestay, and replace the mast base.

They do make inserts that go over the mast base, to augment the mast base rotation stops, however your best bet is to just get the new mast step.

Though it is a pain, You have to remove the dolphin striker, and to do that you need to remove one hull. If I rememeber correctly we had our Hobie dealer do it for us.

Brent

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:11 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

TIME OUT! :shock:

You don't have to remove the dolphin striker, or a hull to replace the mast base.

Download the Jan/Feb issue of the Hobie Class News here:

http://www.hobiecat.com/hobieclass/eHCA_News01_02-05.pdf

On pages 14 and 15 there's the proper instructions for replacing your mast base.