Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I replaced the standard Hobie tell-tails with the Black Beauty tell-tails in the Hobie catalog. Much better. and cheap for multi-year supply.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ditto on that. no more hangups.
mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sweet. I will put in a order soon for some black telltales. I seem to think I had read on here that people were not opening the Seat drains do to the water spurting up through them and wetting u when you were not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sailing an AI is pretty much always a wet ride, and what water may come up through the seat drains is the least of the problem. Depending on how heavy you are, you might not even get much of anything coming up through there. I'm about 225 pounds, and I do end up with a wet seat. Even so, that little bit is minor compared to what comes over the sides from waves, wakes, etc. The good thing is that you're usually having so much fun that you won't really care.

Happy sailing,
- Jim L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When the ride is that wet I go for tape over 80% of plug hole bottom & open the seat hole some. I still do not have a dry suit, make do with short wet suite & long sail pants. A dry suite will be a big improvment I hope ...might be to much, need it while on the water... to hot while out... the enclosed feet. Can you get a shoe over the suite booties?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I leave the plugs in tight when sailing up in the creeks and rivers, where waves are never big enough to wash over the side.

Post subject: Welcome to the Club!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Howdy!

Regarding your seat problem... One you get it firmly into the position you want, leave it alone (yes, rap the pegs with with something to seat them deeply). Contrary to Hobie instructions, don't take it off when trailering. As long as you have it strapped and bungied down properly, you'll be able to tow your AI to hell and back with no worry of it fluttering away.

Congratulations on joining the AI club! It's amazing a watercraft so utterly fulfilling comes at such a relatively cheap price.

You're not out of the woods yet, though. Besides accessories you'll be purchasing, your wife really should have her own boat. The vacations you take will become mind blowing. My beloved & I are planning '09 vacations already... Another camping trip on Lake Powell, and a trip to the Doe Bay resort on Orcas Island in Puget Sound ( http://www.doebay.com/ ).

You won't believe how exhilarating it will feel when that first gust of wind propels you forward on your first sail!

Happy Trails!

Chris

you make...
--The Beatles

Post subject: AI Camping trips
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Element,

I left a few comments about AI camping for you on the Hobie Kayak Sailing forum. Also, because several people have asked about my camping lists, I have posted them on the AI forum. Here is the link:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?p=59947#59947
Just scroll down on p5 until you see the lists.

Good luck,

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks Chekika!! I really enjoy all of your adventures you have had in your AI. I also found it interesting that some of your paddler friends give you a hard time about the AI but not because of what It can carry. I was wondering how Kayakers in my area will feel about it once they see it. I think most around here have never seen one. Can you not out run them while under sail? Is it the jealousy of the sail advantage that caused them to poke fun? Are they just paddle purists. Thanks for posting the gear list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Element, there are many traditional kayakers (not my friends), who just hate Hobie. They can't stand the fact Hobie calls their mirage drive boats kayaks. They feel a "kayak" is defined by a boat that is propelled by a double bladed paddle. I think there is also a little jealousy about the success of the mirage drive boats. Then, there is the "over-enthusiasm" of some mirage drive kayakers--that irritates some kayak fishing persons. All these things are really their problem, and it doesn't bother me.

Can I outrun my kayaking friends? So, far, that has not been the case. Just a year ago, when we returned from East Cape Sable in ENP, we had 18-20 mph head wind during the 11-mile straight-line trip. I had to tack into it and it was tough, but I did the trip in 4 hrs (I did 20 mi overall). The kayakers took 5 to 5.5 hrs, and they were spent.

Other than that one time, usually they beat me. There are a several reasons: (1) w/o wind we can't move. (2) Light winds are only slightly better. Camping trips are scheduled in advance w/o consideration for the winds. (3) The kayakers always go the shortest route, but, as a sailor you are controlled by the winds and usually you do significantly more miles. (4) I usually take longer to get underway--that is also true if I am paddling, but it is worse when I am using the AI. I enjoy our camping so much, I'm always the last to break camp and get going.

When I did my 70-mile Flamingo to Chokoloskee trip last year, I put in a 34 mi day at about 5 mph. No kayaker could have come close to that. So, we will have our days.

Have fun,

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi ElementAI,

I doubt any kayaker will be jealous!!....I think they will be intrigued!!! I think many of the guys on this forum have sea kayaked before and probably still keep their kayaks. Sometimes I worry I am not getting enough of an upper body work out in the Al and so I revert to my Sea Lion for a few days...the only problem is since purchasing the Al I have got hooked on trolling...so much so that I have rigged up a rod holder onto the SL....Thank GOD I have not had a bite yet, I cant imagine what it would be like to try to land something over 3 kilos thrashing around with all those hooks into my lap whilst trying to balance inside a craft thats a lot more tippy than a Sit on top!

If anyone gets 'antsy' about your Al or have some sort of a problem over the fact its called a 'kayak' they are nit-picking!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:48 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I was referring to the Jealousy of Chekika's fellow Sea Kayakers due to the sail advantage. It sounds as though it has only been a speed advantage for Him once. Weather and wind conditions variable as it may be... I have watched all of the Youtube videos of the AI there are and most of them the boat is zooming at a speed I would like to see a seakayaker do. I could not paddle at a sprint in my sit in kayak as fast as I can go peddling alone on the Adventure hull sprint. Throw in the sail advantage and should be zoom city. I need a 2nd sail in the AI this week to get more experience... but my seakayaking buds have seen pictures of it and are quaking in there boots at the thought of keeping up with me. They also want a turn as well. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Element,

I have to correct that. I had a second trip, also from East Cape Sable here in S FL where I beat the kayakers back, even through I started after them. Also, my last trip to Cape Romano we arrived at the same time--again, I started after them and traveled 8.3 mi to their 6.3.

On my 70-mile Flamingo to Chokoloskee trip last year there were no kayaks, but, except for a very slow first day, I would have beaten them on the other days.

So, it is not quite so one-sided. I should also point out, that my kayaking friends are serious kayakers. Their boats are 18'-19' long, 22.5" wide. They can paddle 3.5-4 mph for distance with a full camping load.

Philip1el--In my many kayaking trips with my 19' x 22" kayak, I have hooked 100# tarpon and sharks (how large?). Initially, I worried about capsizing, but it was never a problem. These big fish just drag you around, they don't jerk you around. Of course, I never try to get them into the boat! I had a friend get a 75# shark across his lap in a sea kayak. (I did not think that was too smart.) I've actually been more destabilized by 5# fish that suddenly make a break for it, catching me by surprise.

Tight lines.

Keith