Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

my friend and i have outbacks. we don't fish, instead we like to pedal in open water. so far we have not gotten very wet, yet i see that time coming. so, to be prepared, i am looking into wetsuits, maybe the triathlan stuff would give the flexibility for pedaling and i am open to hearing what works for you.
thanks!

Post subject: Wetsuit
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not sure where in the world you are pedal kayaking at. In the south where it is rare for temperatures to get below freezing, I have yet to need a wetsuit. I'm usually in shorts and bare feet (if the sun is out) in 50-60 degree weather, because there is very little wind chill compared to riding a bicycle. As the body works, it stays warm. I wear lycra and other type clothing that will wick water away from the body and usually wear several layers of it as necessary. It doesn't take long before layers have to come off, even in chilly morning air.

In real cold weather, I pedal in water that is protected from wind and waves. The feet and toes are the most exposed so I pedal wearing wool hunting socks inside Chota Neoprene Boots that go up to my knees. The boots are waterproof and comfortable to pedal in. I also wear insulated lycra tights that I burn up in if the temp is over 45 degrees. They handle some splashes of water and wick it away quickly.

If you feel the need to go out and pedal surf in 3 foot waves and plan on getting thoroughly soaked by the cold water, seriously, take the temperature of the water first. Know your enemy (hypothermia)! Hypothermia can be deadly. Find some windboard surfers in your area and talk to them about what they wear to avoid hypothermia.

If you live in an area with high tides and swift currents, take into account the possibility of being separated from your kayak if you capsized. In 40 degree water, you can be in real trouble in just 15 minutes and dead in 30 minutes. If you have real cold water, try to kayak in places that if you did capsize, current would not be an issue so you know you could quickly get out of the water and back into the kayak.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

here's the challenge. to stay dry, warm, but not overheated.
wetsuits are designed to be in the water, not working out, so these may not be the answer. maybe the solution is to carry one if i get soaked?

i live in marin county, california and have pedaled to angel island from sausalito recently. not much chop that day, but i know this bay from sailing it and it can get real nasty. hence my concern.

my significant other and fellow hobie kayaker is an exercise therapist and advises strongly against tight fitting clothing for this sport. she recently did a thumbs down on some oneil neoprene shorts i bought. i just ordered some neoprene boxing shorts online from everlast, that look promising, keep you guys informed.
anybody have the same dillema or a solution?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Consider Mysterioso top and bottoms. It's lighter than a wetsuit but keeps you warm even when wet. Also wicks moisture away from the body so perspiration from your work out doesn't become a problem. Unlike a wetsuit you won't need a rash guard underneath. I've been using it this winter and like it a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for the heads up!!! which one do you use? the cold weather stuff or the mid water ones?
where do you kayak Noalias?
did you buy it on line?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 9:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Nirvan, I'm not aware of various levels or thicknesses of the Mysterioso garments. The top and bottoms I use are lighter than a standard wetsuit but are a type of fabric, not a neoprene rubber lamination. Therefore they don't rely on a layer of water like a wetsuit for warmth. Nor do they cause you to sweat your butt off when you're dry. Yes, they have a strange name and yes, they're not cheap but they work well for me. I live in SoCal so I don't have to deal with extreme cold like you do up north. Depending upon seasons and conditions you may be best served with a dry suit. And don't forget the appropriate safety equipment like strobes, GPS and VHF radio. I purchased mine from a local kayak shop, however you could probably find them online.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

nirvan wrote:
i live in marin county, california and have pedaled to angel island from sausalito recently. not much chop that day, but i know this bay from sailing it and it can get real nasty. hence my concern.

What is the temperature of the water in this bay?