Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Beaching the 21SC
PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Now that i have my Tent for the back of the Hobie I have been thinking about how to stay for the night. I figure there are two ways to go about this. Anchor in the water or beach it for the night.

I have never even concidered beaching my 21sc. I rig on the trailer, put in at the boat launches, and motor away from the docks. Not very Hobie like practices.

In fact i'm terrified of beaching it because i don't know if it will damage the hulls or if i will even be able to move it once i hit land. I have the little pvc rollers that it came with but have never seen a hobie beached.

Post subject: Beach assault
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi, i carry a small anchor and usually put it down close to shore if i am swimming. if i stay the night i always check the tides, if the tide is going to be higher the next day and you are leaving on that day , then it should be fine for you to beach, after all they are beach cats. BEACH ON SAND. Enjoy yourself. CHEERS pepsi

Post subject: Beach Rollers
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:37 am 
Site Rank - Captain

A set of beach rollers came with both my 21 SCs, i have not used them.
Has anyone?
I have pulled my SC onto a beach for short durations.
i also use a mushroom anchor as I am afraid of the sharp edges on the normal anchor. The mushroom does not hold that well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:01 am 
Site Admin

Sandy beach? No problem what so ever. The hull is tough.

I designed the beach track slide that came with the boats and used them a number of times. The boat is pretty slippery on them. They make it possible to move the boat from the water to above water line with just two people. I was able to do it on a shallow slope with a small woman crew. Not a chance in ---- of doing it without cat wheels or the track slides.

The vinyl helps to keep the rungs from sinking into the sand and keeps them spaced. Vinyl down and rungs up of course.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

This summer we beached my SC in Mission Bay for a drink, not being aware of how fast the tide was ebbing. (Maybe the drinks had something to do with that...) I also made the mistake of leaving the rudders down.

When we went back to the beach the boat was firmly aground, with both rudders deeply embedded in the sand. The hardest part was to lift the back of the boat to free the rudders, after that, pushing the boat back afloat was easy (though I imagine that the bottom does not appreciate the treatment, it is scratched already).

My boat came with Matt's rollers, if I were cruising where beaching was a daily happening, I would definitely carry them with us.

Speaking of anchors, my boat came with two "sand anchors" (is that the correct name?). They are like giant steel corkscrews that you sink in the sand to hold the boat.

JTMalone: there are safe places in the SC cabin to store a Danforth anchor. The difference in holding-ability-per-weight between a mushroom anchor and a Danforth is huge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 21 is a (heavy) beach cat sand is no problem sea shells are a problem sometimes the get into the centerboard wells and keep the centerboards up beware of anything rock in rocky areas i anchor offshore and a danforth anchor tied to bridle works well on sand or mud bottom. make sure rudders are up jib rolled and the main down or if up all ropes loose
Make sure the anchor has enough rope length rule is seven times depth of water on the beach keep bows into the waves keep an eye on the tide in or out that can ruin a day at the beach if the sails are up do not get to far from the boat
Gary