Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

People have surfed AI's at speeds in the teens, but on flat water I haven't gotten mine much above 8. It may go 9.5, but I'm not sure I want mine to go that fast! ;) It starts to hum above 6, and really feels fast at 7.

I heard that Hobie would need a longer hull mold oven to make a longer boat, so it may be that a tandem AI would be built on an existing tandem boat. I hope they do introduce some kind of tandem version, as lots of people ask me about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Guys:

My Son and I have had our Islands up to 11 mph many times and it is great fun. At higher wind speeds you do have to reef in the sail a bit to get those speeds. Reefing allows the boat to ride higher in the water producing higher speeds.

Thanks, Ray J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I found in heavier winds, the AI handles much better (rudder control) and definately goes faster if you can get your weight out on the windward side. Flat is fast! I found that you really don't have to get out too far for a noticable difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:25 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Oh yes. I have been thinking of adding a "tiller extension" so I can sit out both sides, and maybe a board to sit on the aka and hull so its more comfortable. Had one 30 minute spell with a numb bum.

Geoff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If the winds are strong, I take my seat and stash it inside the hull. With the seat out, you can shift around much easier and actually increase the number of seating positions. Sitting on the sides works well only when you get rid of the old up/down rudder system........ouch. If the wind dies, simply pull the seat out and pedal home. I found it difficult to pedal without the seat in place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I was considering buying a Windrider 17, and arranged a test sail.
On the day, the boat arrived with the salesman and his wife. They were a very nice couple, and we got on fine. I looked it over, felt it's weight etc. It looked fine, but was much too heavy for me to handle alone. It did have a fantastic remote trailer manoeuvering system which was an expensive optional extra.
However, I never did get to try the boat out, as there was not enough wind to bother launching it. This is what decided things for me most of all. At least with the Adventure Island, if the wind dies when you arrive at the slip, you can still launch and either paddle, or pedal. You would probably find some wind further out, but it wouldn't be a wasted journey if you didn't.
I also liked being able to car-top it, and launch & recover on my own. This means that I can go out at any time without relying on others that may not want to.
It should only be a few days before my AI arrives now. I will soon know if I made the right decision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Ger I think your dicision was good, I also have the windrider 16, a little easier/quicker to set up than the 17. but if the wind dies as you say the fun stops. most windrider users have either a trolling motor or small outboard as get you homes, I paddle and its not easy, so far Iv'e been lucky in that I was using the AI 12 miles from launch when the wind quit and Iwas happy to peddle home thro the mangroves and still enjoy my time on the water.

mm

ps no matter how you get your rig to the water the AI is so much easier/quicker to set up and enjoy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:19 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

The saleman at my local hobie dealership,Told me that the tandem AI would have side by side seating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Doesn't sound like that would perform very well in kayak mode.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

scottcp wrote:
The saleman at my local hobie dealership,Told me that the tandem AI would have side by side seating.

Side by side in the same hull, or in 2 hulls. 2 hulls would be like a catamaran, take 2 revos and tie/frame them together with the sail in the middle on a frame.

Side by side in the same hull would make for a very wide mono-hull. Will it have 2 mirage drives?

I suppose one could elevate a seat platform above a narrow hull - but that seems unlikely.

I am keenly interested in a tandem AI; but dealers seem to be always the last to know about new stuff so it makes me wonder.