Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do any forum members have knowledge/experience with any of the following AI accessories:

Drive Well Seal (#8103-) which attaches to the rear of the Mirage Drive to decrease water infiltration through the drive well...is it worth buying and if so which to order: the Well Seal (-7001) or the 'I-Well Seal (-8001)'

The Hobie Catalog now lists two ST-Turbo fin kits (my dealer told me to order the 72065 kit)...but the Hobie catalog now lists a 72066001 2009-threaded sprocket kit...which actually for a 2009 AI?

Forum members mentioned using 'packing tape' to seal up the Mirage Drive well when they want to sail without having the Drive inserted.
The catalog shows a '81535001' Mirage Cassette Plug...does it fit the 2009 Click and Go factory change? and if so, is it worth buying?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:28 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
TIDALWAVE wrote:
Drive Well Seal (#8103-) which attaches to the rear of the Mirage Drive to decrease water infiltration through the drive well...is it worth buying and if so which to order: the Well Seal (-7001) or the 'I-Well Seal (-8001)'

Drive well seal is a gotta have, been standard for a few years I think. The I-well seal is for the inflatables only.

TIDALWAVE wrote:
The Hobie Catalog now lists two ST-Turbo fin kits (my dealer told me to order the 72065 kit)...but the Hobie catalog now lists a 72066001 2009-threaded sprocket kit...which actually for a 2009 AI?

The turbo fins would depend on what year drive you have, you will need the threaded sprocket kit if you have a 2009 boat. You may want to consider upgrading the sprockets on an older drive to accommodate the threaded turbo fins.

TIDALWAVE wrote:
Forum members mentioned using 'packing tape' to seal up the Mirage Drive well when they want to sail without having the Drive inserted.
The catalog shows a '81535001' Mirage Cassette Plug...does it fit the 2009 Click and Go factory change? and if so, is it worth buying?

the cassette plug is standard equipment on the AI, ask you dealer for one. The packing tape will help seal up the plug if you need it, the plug does not form a water tight seal just fills the void in case you drop something it doesn't end up in "Davy Jones" locker.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:04 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

TIDALWAVE wrote:

You would only order the threaded sprocket kit only if you have a sprocket like the one shown below on the right. Note the brass insert but no Allenhead screw. They are new for '09 and as sunjammers says, the older Drives can be upgraded to this style. All others would use the 72065 kit. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie got back to me and informed me that the plugs were standard items included with the 2009 AI.

Would it be worth the effort to put some epdm insulation tubing (soft semi-flat rubber tubing with peel&stick adhesive on one side) around the plugs if they are not completely watertight? In other words...do the plugs 'spit' water if you get into large pounding waves?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Guys,
Just remember that the water has to get OUT too. I did a flush fit tight seal on mine only to find myself sitting in a bathtub of water. Had to make it, um, not so water tight! A hundred pounds of water in your lap is not good for going through the next wave.

Post subject: Venturi sump-pump
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Has anyone thought about building a venturi sump-pump?
I was thinking about adapting a venturi nozzle connected to a length of clear vinyl tubing. If the nozzle were set on a vertical pole attached to one of the rear akas...the movement of water through the nozzle would create a vacuum suction in the tubing. The tubing could then be inserted into the hull, etc. and would automatically suck water out.
I would assume that the faster an AI travels, the more water would tend to come aboard. And the faster water went into the nozzle, the more suction.

Post subject: water
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

:D I think you will find you get more water from spray than from the area around your drive. This past summer was my first with the AI on the Chesapeake Bay. The better the ride, the wetter the ride! More than one time I was whacked with a sheet of water while flying on the waves! If you want to stay dry, the AI may not be the best choice. I sailed a bit with Gwiz and he had a spray shield that seemed to help, but also slowed him down. I have a wet suit and am considering a dry suit for this spring. If you sail on calmer lakes, you will stay more dry.
We did upgrade to the turbo fins on both my AI and my hubbies Revolution. I think they make a difference. They were a bit tricky to install.
:lol: The AI is definitely the best thing I have bought in many years!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
I sailed a bit with Gwiz and he had a spray shield that seemed to help, but also slowed him down.

A Sprayskirt slowed him down! I don't think so. :D

He was probably holding back so he didn't loose you :lol:

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now, that is a great shot, Kayaking Bob.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Bob,
What Keith said!!! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:15 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I'll third that. Terriffic! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Kayaking Bob,

I suspect you own that image. Any chance of sharing with me, so I can print it out? Its so wonderful I would like to make a print of it to put on my wall. I guess you would have to email the full image, if you are happy to do that, and I can give you an email address somehow. I certainly don't plan on trying to commercialize it, (and rip you off) but its probably good enough for that.

Geoff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sure, just email me and I can send the full pic.

Here's others I like:

All are of my friend Scott (as I'm always behind the camera). :)

I found, if I take enough pictures, I do get some good ones.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Dear Bob,

Many thanks, I have emailed you.

Geoff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:13 am 
Hobie Team Member

Nice shots Bob.