Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This past summer I strained my thumb while sailing during an "adventure" I have DeQuervain's tenosynovitis, which is a real pain! I will need to make a change in my rudder control to prevent the strain to my thumb again. I don't want to go through cortisone injections again. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has modified their rudder control. Gwiz and I sailed a bit this past summer and he has added a piece of pvc pipe to his rudder control so he can use his whole hand. It seems to work very well. So, anyone else do anything creative????

Post subject: rudder
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So....I"m guessing from the non-response that nobody else has experienced issues with their thumbs and the rudder control. Hard to believe! I call it my "sailing injury".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The early AI's with the first rudder were a real pain (in the thumb) but since the newer rudder with the notch, it's like power steering. I'm assuming you have the newer rudder, so I would suggest checking everything to see where it might be binding up.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I haven't experienced any pain caused by using the rudder handle.
Have you seen this post?:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=7161
I think it's where Gwiz got his pipe mod from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:40 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

janetandfred,

Here is a link to a post that address the rudder handle on the Revo. I made a new handle because it was under my leg. But if the handle was longer it could solve your problem. The rudder control handle looks to be the same on both AI & Revo.

I made my handle out of a block of nylon. It had gone through 2 seasons.

Bruce

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... highlight=

Post subject: rudder control
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the links to the modifications. My AI is an 08. I seem to be constantly adjusting the rudder control, so may-be it does need some adjustment. My brother-in-law broke the handle early on and we had to replace the control. Everything looked correct, but if I really don't need to be adjusting all the time, then may-be something is out of whack. I do want to change it from using my thumb though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I make lots of adjustmnets also. My hand seldom is off the controller. Hand can get cold and tried at the thumb knuckel area.If the pvc extension is still operational after all these months.. with the added pressure on the control lever assy.. That may be the best soultion. Constatnt adjustment ..might be to small size..weak part all around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Like kepra, my hand is seldom off the controller--I am making small adjustments almost continuously. Sometimes I slide a nearby 1/4" shockcord under the tiller handle to keep it in place a little better. Before the sailing rudder and the up/down rudder line upgrade, the controller was tough to control--very hard on my thumb joint. Now, it is a piece of cake. Nevertheless, I have a simple extender--this is the picture. If it looks like there is sand all over my boat, it is. Just got back from a camping trip.

In the picture, the metal bar is a stainless steel "tang" from West Marine.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:51 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Nice extension! Here are a few more handle mods that others have adopted by enterprising forum members:

If your handle is loose and you keep a light bow line rigged (the one pictured is "550" parachute cord), the line slips neatly under the rudder handle to keep it from moving on its own:

If you are using the balanced sailing rudder and find that it needs constant correction, you might check to see that the rudder control lines are taut (when the rudder is down and centered). If not, the rudder can flop around to the extent slack allows and you will be constantly correcting it. IMO, you should be able to take your hand off the rudder for extended periods unless you're headed downwind in a rolling sea. 8)