Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Using Reverse Gear
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had my new Hobie Island delivered last Sunday, and first sail in our local river on Thursday. I was keen to give it a shot earlier in the week but have had a dose of the flu so have been staying away from the water. Anyway it was 15 knots downwind and I was able to sail for the usable length of the river here with is about 3 miles. I found the boat very easy to sail and the gusts did get the boat up and go. I did not know what to expect as I had not played in the Island before and thought I might be in for a long haul in working my way back to windward in that breeze and a maybe 50 yards wide river. As you owners no-doubt already know, the helm is very responsive and the mirage system makes tacking a dream so the 20 or 30 tacks back up the river where each a delight. Great boat and great fun.

Thought I would repeat the effort this morning. Weather predictions were for squalls of 30 to 40 knots this afternoon but 15 to 20 this morning. So I car-topped the Island down to the local ramp and put her in. The ramp is located on the edge of our town in a backwater which leads to the river. The wind was 15 knots directly downwind along this channel which is about 50 foot wide. I wheeled it in rigged up and stowed the wheels and off i went under peddle power until I cleared the channel into the river from where I was going to sail. Unfortunately 50 yards along, my path was completely blocked by a fallen tree, which was there on Thursday but positioned so as not to completely block the channel. Anyway before I realised it I was being pushed into the tree and pinned against it by the force of the wind. The amas were folded in and I was pretty well stuck. I tried pushing the bow out and peddling but by the time I got back to peddling position, I was again against the tree.
The only way out appeared to be out backwards but the wind was too stong for me to paddle out, then I came up with the reverse idea. Took out my Mirage Drive and popped it back in backwards. Pushed out the back of the boat with the paddle and began peddling hard. Reverse ruddered her out and away from the log and was must say she went quite well in reverse. I am still getting used to the steering tiller arm, but soon got the hang of what I had to do. When I was sufficiently away from that tree, I stopped peddling and again swapped the direction of the drive. No problems and learnt you can propel the Island in reverse using the Hobie drive. Prudently I put the boat to bed before the big winds arrived which they did are still here trying its best to blow my house away so dont think I will be sailing tomorrow either. Good thing about being retired is you can do it anytime the weather allows you though....Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate,

Well done. I believe Roadrunner in earlier post also pointed out the "reverse gear" of the AI. In any case, you did very well.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My wife discovered reverse by accident. She was pinned on a downwind dock, and had a T dock blocking her path out. She had to give a shove and start pedaling like crazy. She did.

The boat shot backwards into the weeds! It would have been hilarious if she hadn't been so mad. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good one Tom...Got me smiling at the beginning of my day here..Pirate