Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

I am new here to the site. Just bought a 08 AI. Everything seems so well thought out on this boat that I was a little disappointed when I tried to install my dodger. The company I purchased it from send me the wrong dodger originally and then replaced it with the correct one. Both came with the same instructions and mounting equipment. The new, correct one I have now has snap buttons on it but there are no snap buttons included with the hardware. Anybody else have this problem or has anyone else come up with some creative ways of attaching the Dodger to there AI?

Does the Dodger really shed that much water, i.e. - is it even really worth keeping?

Any and all insight will be appreciated! I took this out this past weekend and it was a wet ride at times. I am wondering if a wetsuit would be a better investment than a 100$ piece of cloth that doesn't even come with the correct mounting hardware.

All said, I love this boat - Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome, and congrats. on your AI purchase.

Instead of a dodger, if you know someone that sews, you could make a sprayskirt as some of us have done. It keeps most waves and spray off us without enclosing the cockpit area. Here's a link with pictures and discussion: http://kfs.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/ ... 077944/p/1

On your missing dodger hardware, check with your dealer or Hobie. Mistakes happen, but Hobie will make them right.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 9:59 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Torpey and welcome to the forum. Here's a dodger review for an AI from FloridsRobot:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... ger+island

I have one for my Adventure, but the mounting and amount of wetness is much different. That said, it's great for cooler weather. Use the search feature here to see what other comments you can find.

I think you'll enjoy having one there in Utah. 8)

PS -- Kayaking Bob's sprayskirt is probably the best device so far for spray and swell deflection -- he's got a couple of videos you can look at. If anyone around my house had any skill at sewing, I'd have one too!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yeah, mine was missing some hardware also but I got it straightened out. I only used it a few times but on a cold day with cold water it's pretty nice to have. And you can put it up and take it down pretty easy while underway too. I have no regrets purchasing mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I ordered a doger with my AI. It finally came but was the wrong one, was for the Mirage Adventure. It seems the doger for the AI is on backorder at Hobie.
I would like to mount my GPS and FF and a few other things on but don't want to do it without knowing where the doger fits and what can be seen and operated from where.
Has anyone else had touble getting one?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm also interested in the dodger because the waves are big and the water, for the most part cold. I'm alos wondering if the electonics I see you guys using are waterproof and reasonably resilient. Salt water eats electronics and I worry about reliability.

Like many of you, I don't have those great sewing skills but sure do admire the spraysheet and it's apparent performance.

Post subject: Dodger
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There seems to be lots of info/feedback etc re the Dodger scattered throughout the AI forums. :?
I want to provide some feedback but there are many previous posts contained in other topic threads.
Is there a Forum Administrator and if so could all this important information be collated into its own thread?? :?:
If not, I guess I might have to do what many others have done - start yet another new thread on a topic that has been raised many times previously :roll:
Mickey