Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

We put two extra rear facing kayak seats from a double kayak in the two AI's and 4 go sailing for the day. It works better to mount the seats back to back because stern sits higher in the water as compared to mounting the extra at the rear of the tank well. I weigh in at 230 and the first mate is 130lbs and it sails quite well with the bow up just a bit. the boat seems to take on a little more water than usual but not a problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,

What did you decide?

I have two AI's and my daughter (8y/o) can peddle and paddle one on her own after only two days out in it. She was half way across the lake solo on the boats maiden voyage in less than 5 mins tuition (turn left, okay turn right okay now show me how you put the rudder and peddles up to come in .... good off you go...)

She comes out sailing with me and sits in front of me and does the sail control under instruction. I reckon she's about three or four trips from going solo in one. I can follow her in the other.

I taught my sister ... a complete novice ... to sail one in 10 mins yesterday. She had my 8y.o on the back with her. And my 5 year old comes on the back of mine quite happily.

If I can get my wife to sail one, which is the next challenge, I can see we'll need a third one. That'll really cause some budgeting and trailering headaches!

It was quite funny yesterday. A mother of some kids playing near the shore of the lake with boogie boards spoke to me while I was packing up the red boat. She said "Is that your daughter WAY out there in that kayak?" (Aislin was probably 400 metres out and practicing and doing very well at peddling and paddling simultaneously for an 8y/o.)

I said yes it is with a big grin. "But she's so little, aren't you worried?" came the reply...

She doesn't know my daughter... I think my daughter is revelling in the new found freedom and sense of responsibility she has for her own destiny in the AI 'yak. No one telling her you can't go here or there, stay in close to shore etc. etc. With an onshore breeze and a good lifejacket on a kid who has can swim a mile in the pool I'm not too worried. She'll blow in to shore with, on or near the boat.
:D
Dave