Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Electric motor on Wave
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I want to add an electric motor to my Wave (which I've owned since 1996).

Hobie sells the motor mount for the Wave but I need to know how secure the battery.

I thought Hobie used to sell a kit that allows you to temporarily install the battery in one of the hulls.

I live in Asheville, NC and my closest Hobie dealer is in Charleston, SC (250 miles away). I called him and he doesn't remember Hobie selling a battery hatch kit for the Wave.

I have 2008-09 Hobie parts and accessories catalog and it makes no mention of a Wave battery hatch kit.

How are others storing the battery on the Wave?

How much horsepower / thrust will I need to propel the Wave?

I see that some electric motors are designed for salt water use. What happens if I use an electric motor designed for fresh water in the ocean (Charleston harbor) every once in a while?

PS Why the need for a motor? I've got two kids (ages 5 and 9) and when I trailer my boat to a lake or to Charleston I want to make sure we can take the kids out on the boat even when wind isn't blowing.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tomheck wrote:
PS Why the need for a motor? I've got two kids (ages 5 and 9) and when I trailer my boat to a lake or to Charleston I want to make sure we can take the kids out on the boat even when wind isn't blowing.

2 kids + 2 sides of the boat + 2 paddles = 1 Motor! :wink:

2006 Hobie Wave 7358
"Ish Kabibble"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:07 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
the old Hobie part number was 3185 Motor Mount for the Wave.

Included a battery box and wiring harness for a quick disconnect.

I grabbed a 2002 Hobie catalog it's on page 44, now sure what year it was discontinued.

Hobie lost there source for the battery box which is why they no longer offer the kit, there are none left at the factory.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:09 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
this will help you out!
http://www.torqeedo.com/us/hn/home.html

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The battery install kit was similar to the Getaway ice chest with an electrical connector in the lid. You would cut a hole in the hull behind the rear x bar and install. There were a few shortcomings, think twice about cutting a giant hole in the hull. The Torquedo seems like a better solution.

Post subject: Torqeedo motor
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I checked out the Torqeedo motor and it looks like it will be a perfect match for my Wave. Thank you for the great suggestion!

I must say, the innovations around battery technologies these days is impressive. I've been following a company out of Texas called Eestor that is claiming they have a breakthrough battery based on "ultra capacitor" technology. They say a five minute charge will be able to provide enough power for a car to travel 500 miles at 80 mph. I was skeptical about it all until Lockheed Martin (the largest defense contractor in the world) signed a deal with Eestor. Zenn motors out of Canada has the rights to all applications of the Eestor technology for cars and they claim they will have one on the market in 2009. With the Eestor technology applied to electric outboard motors like the Torqeedo there will be more and longer lasting power (with super quick charging). Things are changing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That thing looks way cool, I like the fact that the battery is part of the motor and no wiring is required. Too bad its so much money. :cry:

Post subject: Torqueedo
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can the torqueedo attach directly to the rear crossbar, or does it require some type of mount like a Cheata to keep it out of the way until needed?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I couldn't see a price anywhere... any ideas how much?

Dick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It's OK I got a CDN$ quote already. The Travel (which has the only models 401 & 801 that come with the Lithium-Mag batteries) are roughly $1,585 and $1,795... the Base Travel is not foldable and does not come with an integrated battery, but has cables to attach it to a lead battery, are cheaper of course around $1,100 and $1,300. FWIW... yes, it is an expensive option... but pretty cool stuff!

Happy New Year!

Post subject: Re: Torqueedo
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Norm742 wrote:
Can the torqueedo attach directly to the rear crossbar, or does it require some type of mount like a Cheata to keep it out of the way until needed?

I appologize for bringing this topic back up but I feel I need to share my solution for attaching the torqeedo to the rear crossbar.
I am using a home-made mount which consists of two metal plates (inox 316) and a block of wood attached to the plate. The lower plate is 4 mm thick, upper plate is 2 mm thick. Both plates are joint together with the four screws. On the inner side of both plates (the contact surface with the cross bar) I glued a piece of rubber for better friction.
A few photos speak more than my words:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bart, thank you for posting that - it looks really good. I did notice two other things on your boat that I am curious about. First, it looks to me like your tiller crossbar is two pieces - true? Did you modify it yourself or is it something that comes from Hobie? Second, what is the vertical gadget on your starboard rudder arm? Thanks!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:08 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thank you for your feedback. The tiller crossbar came from Hobie in one piece. What you see in the picture is an original part from Hobie. I have not modified it in any way. It looks like it is made of two pieces but I am not sure. My feeling is the crossbar is one piece, but they put a piece of bigger size tube over the crossbar for whatever reason.
The vertical gadget is a mount for the navigation light. This is my upgrade.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

this Torqueedo push enough or a small type may be good too? I mean an ultralight kayak type ...for example...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hello
i have customized motor mount for hobie wave, no drill is needed, it weights 4 LBS
and the dimensions are 12x5x4 inch
all its need an engine with 360 degrees rotating tiller

it cost 220 usd with standard shipping, you can pay the difference if you want expedited shipping

you can contact me on [email protected]
or
whatsapp :-+96599722303

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gJd5B7J3JVTLgHLxnVXDeO9lSVOZdsxG/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1-tz_D9zWWLl18Sr5ZaD0kBvIX8eWHVYW/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10BUBX8LbwLkOd3etAn26eZoGU2OoNd26/view?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nw1e8ZWm_c3yyyPwdONLjVb46CCREcOZ/view?usp=sharing