Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do any of the old hands have any tricks for fitting the trolley when the AI is in the water? I have been retracting the amas, putting the mast, paddle and dagger board ashore, then wading in and rolling the boat onto its side. Anyone know a smarter way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just pull the boat back into deep enough water such that I can stick the trolley uprights into the holes. The air in the wheels will keep it up against the hull. I than roll the whole thing out to where I want to go and than unload or whatever.
Or...if you just sail with it in than no worries! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Phil,

I tried that, but I have to wade in waist deep, or am I missing something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I didn't realize you wanted to stay dry :lol: You can kneel in the seat facing backward and get them in. You will have to get your arms wet up to the armpits I'm afraid and don't slip or you will really get wet!
Isn't the water warm this time of year down there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK, I'm being a woos, or whatever the US equivalent of that is. The water is warm enough, but I dont like driving home in wringing wet pants if possible. :oops: Also, I end up covered in estuarine mud. Not to mention the Great White sharks prowling around everywhere here :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris,
Kneedeep water is enough, but you will get your arm wet. I look down through the scupper hole to align one cart upright and the other one usually follows. The buoyancy of the pnuematic wheels keeps it in place. If the boatramp is wide enough I don't even retract the ama. I often drag the AI fully rigged , ama out and mast in up to the trailer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Stringy,

I'll work on that. I probably just need a bit of practice. BTW, I have taken to launching from the boat ramp at Deerubbun Reserve down on the Hawkesbury. It's an ideal launch spot for the AI and only 12 minutes drive from my place (Calga). Straight under the F3 and you're in Broken Bay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Or you could just leave the trolley underneath when you sail like I did recently...Pirate :oops: :oops: :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Chris,
Kneedeep water is enough, but you will get your arm wet. I look down through the scupper hole to align one cart upright and the other one usually follows. The buoyancy of the pnuematic wheels keeps it in place. If the boatramp is wide enough I don't even retract the ama. I often drag the AI fully rigged , ama out and mast in up to the trailer.

Stringy,
I note that you pull her out complete using your wheels and then load onto a trailer.
I load onto a trailer too but to date have never used my wheels, as I simply back my trailer down the boatramp and pull it onto the AI cradles.
What do you do once you have it off the boatramp?
I launch in a similar fashion. I am not using a boat trailer but only back it in so that the rubber on the tyres is wet.
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mickey,
I have found it easier to load onto the cart and then wheel it on to the water. That way I don't have to leave the AI unattended while parking. My usual launch spot is a narrow boat ramp with nowhere to tie up easily. My trailer isn't a boat trailer but a converted cheap box trailer that I got before I had my first AI. I like to hose down the kayaks before loading them so the trailer doesn't rust out prematurely. With hindsight a proper hot dipped gal trailer would have been a better choice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris, I always launch and retrieve using the wheels. I launch usually off a ramp and with amas still folded leave the wheels in and push off as I step into the rear luggage compartment. I have the paddle nearby and find that standing up paddling efficient, safe and fun. Once out in deeper water, when I remember :oops: , I simply retrieve the trolley by putting an arm in the water. No probs.
The difficulty is at the end of the day. How to get the wheels in place. So far the only 'dry' method I have found is to fold the amas and lift the hulls up on one side, mast facing downwind is best, and pop the trolley in place. Knowing exactly where to find the receiving holes is one big hurdle to overcome and I am going to mark mine so a quick glance will be all I need. After that its a soda....Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate,

I did it the way Stringy suggested today (thanks Stringy) and it was no problem. It helps knowing it is doable. I was so wet from sailing through the chop on Broken Bay that I might as well have swum under the boat to put them in anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate,

PS: Do you sing Italian love songs while you are standing up paddling your AI?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I usually launch from a nearby boat ramp. This is about a 4 block walk from the house. Once I'm at the launch, I step the mast and finish rigging. I walk it into the water with amas out (sharks not such a problem in the waters I usually sail). If the ramp is busy, I just walk off the grass nearby Once it's floating in the water, drop in the daggerboard, and reach under to pull the wheels. They're the basic Hobie non-pneumatic dolly wheels, but they still float. Yes, I do get wet, but I'm going to get wet sailing the AI anyway.

I've never admitted it before, but like Pirate, I too have sailed away without remembering to pull the dolly out.:oops: For some reason she doesn't sail so well that way.:shock: Go figure.

When coming back in, just do it in reverse. One tip though, I find it a lot easier to put the dolly wheels back in while the amas are extended. If the amas are folded in then I have to reach that much further in to get the dolly lined up with the scupper holes.

If wet clothes for the drive home is a problem, I've found some brands of pants & shirts that are quick drying. They have them in both long & short pant versions, usually with a few extra cargo pockets. By the time I've unrigged and am starting to walk back to the house, they're almost completely dry. Don't know the brands, but check your local outdoor supply store.

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good stuff Jim. If I have read this right, seems to me that you replace the cart by simply popping your arm with the cart over the side and lining up the holes. I have been discussing that technique only last night with Mickey and am about to practice that (though we have the balloon wheels type cart that will want to float up more than yours).
Chris...Mickey would not appreciate being sung to in public and besides that he is the one who can sing and should be singing to me...LOL..Pirate :lol: