Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am ready to install some small cam-cleats for use with a barber haul
and jib sheets.

The most convenient positions are just fore and aft of
the aka ball braces on top of the gunnels. But I haven't been able to figure out how to install stainless fender washers as backing plates for the cleats. With the foot well hatch open...I find that I can't reach the narrow gaps in the hull at the gunnels.

I do have some Hobie expandable well-nuts which can be inserted from the outside, but several members warned me that the expansion is probably not sufficient to withstand the pull from the sheets.

I have looked at cam cleat photos submitted by several members. They show the cleats installed near the ball braces.
How did you anchor the cleat bolts to the hull?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It is a bit of a reach for the barber hauler cleats, but it's really not that bad. Set the boat on the grass so you can lie with your arm into the hull almost up to your shoulder.

I used stainless steel machine screws, about 2 inch long, if memory serves. This is longer than you need for fastening, but the extra length made installation easier because it lets you reach the end of the screw to install the washer & nut. Make sure you use a nylon insert locking nut. I also left the top of the cleat open. That way the side you're not cleating on won't be getting hung up. Also makes rigging and unrigging easier.

Select your mounting position. I think I positioned the forward most hole about 2 inches aft of the aka strut ball. I did it six months ago, so check your location by what feels comfortable to you. Drill the holes so the screw is a tight fit in the hole through the hull. You can drive it into the tight hole with your screwdriver, but the tight fit will help keep it from leaking. Don't forget to apply some silicone sealer under the cleat. Again, don't want it to leak. The next part can be done single handed, but is easier with a friend. Once the screws are threaded through the hull, reach through the cockpit hatch and feel for the screws. You don't have to be able to reach all the way up into that tight gap. You just need to be able to get the washer &nut onto the end of the screw. While you hold the nut with a socket wrench (deep socket with an extension works best), tighten the screw from the outside. If working solo, an electric screwdriver made it easier.

I'm also working on a jib setup with a couple of friends, but haven't gotten to the point of setting cleats for it yet. Further development will have to wait for warmer weather now. Winter sailing is fun, but for the time being I'll stick with the tried & proven rig for that.

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:45 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Set your boat up on saw horses against a wall or vertical support like this -- you'll be amazed at what you can reach while seated comfortably! 8)