Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

OK guys - I think it's time we started a thread on this - as time is marching on and if we don't make a start with planning and preparation soon, we'll miss the boat :shock: :P :wink:
There's a heap of issues that need to be discussed - I guess one of the first issues is dates.
Personally speaking I am fairly flexible at this stage and could pretty well fit in with anytime during January or February. Given that it will take a while to properly prepare, I think we would be pushing it to do anything this ambitious prior to Sat 31 Jan.
If we plan on travelling the entire length from Sale to Lakes Entrance we would probably need to allow a minimum of three days. (53 NMiles or 98.156Km)
So let's start with an expression of interest and availability and see whether we can firm up on some dates - always subject to weather - so I guess we wil need a contingency plan also. The most obvious would be to identify 2 x three day periods a week apart.
If anyone is interested in joining us now's the time to weigh in :wink:
Based on the distances involved it looks like we would need to stop overnight at
1. Plover Point ( 20 n/miles from Sale);
2. Paynesville (19 n/miles from Plover Point)
Which then leaves 14 n/miles to Lakes Entrance.
If you wanted to spread it out a bit more you could stop the first night at the mouth of the LaTrobe River (10 n/miles).
I guess a lot will depend on the winds once we're on the lakes. By way of example, Pirate & I sailed back from Metung to the Nicholson River Jetty - a distance I estimate to be 12 n/miles - with a following wind - in one and a half hours. It took us three and a half hours to get there sailing into the wind.
I like the idea of a backup mother ship - whether it be my houseboat or Dave's Haines Hunter. 8) :wink: :)

Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Of course I want to be part of this Mickey remembering I will be away from middle of February.
Like my flying, I think setting an actual date is a good starting point but the weather will be a big factor and if we want to take advantage of downwind sailing breezes, we need a degree of flexibility around the date to take advantage of good conditions.
I better go get an Adventure Island friendly tent and equipment all sorted in preparation to the voyage. How about some turbo fins too just in case..Pirate :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
Of course I want to be part of this Mickey remembering I will be away from middle of February.
Like my flying, I think setting an actual date is a good starting point but the weather will be a big factor and if we want to take advantage of downwind sailing breezes, we need a degree of flexibility around the date to take advantage of good conditions.
I better go get an Adventure Island friendly tent and equipment all sorted in preparation to the voyage. How about some turbo fins too just in case..Pirate :wink:

I'll get a price from PM re the Turbo fins - incl estimated delivery time.
If it's just the two of us we will have lots of flexibility - but with five AIs in the district that we know of I thought there might be some other starters :roll:
As you know, the wind tends to come up in the afternoon, so we could paddle/pedal the river section from Sale in the morning and catch the SW afternoon wind across Lake Wellington. Or alternatively, we could just head off from Malay Point around midday :roll:
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't forget the Aeroguard - or better still, the Bushmen :wink:
I know you wouldn't forget it Pirate because you have an excellent checklist 8) :wink:
How about posting it here so that we can all make a copy :lol: :lol:
I appreciate that an odyssey list would be much more extensive than a basic sailing checklist, but it could form the backbone on which to build one. :roll: :wink: :)
Thanks
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Guys,

I'm certainly keen but I just can't commit at this point in time. Between trips to Mallacoota and family commitments around the 5 year old starting school in the first weeks of Feb the logistics are a little difficult.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

geocacher wrote:
Hi Guys,

I'm certainly keen but I just can't commit at this point in time. Between trips to Mallacoota and family commitments around the 5 year old starting school in the first weeks of Feb the logistics are a little difficult.

Dave

Cool Dave :wink:
Is there anytime/s you think might be more suitable - maybe later in the year :?:
March is a great time weather-wise as you know. I am seriously thinking of going to the Ulysses M/Cycle AGM in Penrith which is around 10 - 20 March.
Given that you work and have a young family, you clearly don't have the flexibilty that retirement brings. :wink:
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well I got an Adventure Island, and as of today a little tent that fits in the boat. Bought a couple of large drybags, a camera, and ordered a set of turbo fins, I'll be ready anytime now to push off into this next adventure...come on guys..get it together...Pirate :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Arrr, Pirate.

i am in Coffs harbour but might be able to make it for such a trip, pls stay in touch.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

skymax wrote:
Arrr, Pirate.

i am in Coffs harbour but might be able to make it for such a trip, pls stay in touch.

You would be more than welcome to share in our adventures skymax. Mickey has wandered off with Minney to New Zealand for a couple of weeks starting today so no hurry at this end, and of course the days have shortened and cooled down considerably lately. Will discuss it further when he gets back.....Pirate :wink: