Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 7:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I use the AI in "Adventure" mode from time to time and it's a whole different boat. Much faster pedaling and paddling. OK primary stability, but great secondary stability (IMHO). I haven't flipped it yet but it does take me a few min. to get comfortable after the rock solid platform of the AI.

Since the wind and waves come up quickly here, I prefer the "AI" mode whenever I'm going to be out there for a while, like when fishing. Also trolling while sailing is great fun!

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
JollyGreen wrote:
I have not fished from it yet, but I've heard of people fishing from it in all modes. Ill probably take along a rod and reel next weekend and just troll a lure around. Still getting used to the boat and all the stuff that needs to be secured.

Thanks Bob and others, as usual a fantastic reply. I would love to just use the kyak only mode but am a bit afraid of turning it *rse up and losing all my gear including rods. Is this an acquired skill or is always a gamble?....Pirate

Were you thinking of fishing for Black Marlin, Pirate? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

But seriously Pirate, why don't you take it out in Adventure mode, with no gear on board and try to capsize it (in shallow water). You will find it more difficult than you imagine and it will give you a better idea what it's limitations are.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:26 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

The Adventure is used a lot for fishing around here. Here's a local boat that's out all the time, usually offshore:

This is Aloha Dan with a nice catch:

The beauty of the AI is its versatility. In the Adventure mode it is very stable -- and fast:

Fun to play in boat wakes:

Challenging to sail:

But tether your gear anyway!8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

One of the great things about the AI is the versatility. Normally in the morning I leave the boat in the Adventure mode and my wife and I take our boats out for a peddle in the back canals of Naples island. The canals are narrow with low bridges which preclude using the AI set up. After a nice breakfast at a water front restaurant, the breeze has normally come up enough to go to AI mode and sail the rest of the day. It is really nice having 2 boats in one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Took the AI out on Hickam Harbor again, this time by myself. The winds were up a little more around 15kts to start just barely white capping. I was able to get up to 6mph on close haul and close reach. After 30 min or so the winds died down to 10-15, and was getting around 5-5.5mph. It seemed like having a smaller person in the back with a combined weight of 350 caused about 0.5mph in loss of speed, I can't complain at all!

Also, while out I ran into another fellow in a red AI! I was shocked, trying to figure out who that was let me know if you visit there!

Jeremy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

JollyGreen wrote:
The winds were up a little more around 15kts to start just barely white capping.

Hmm. Must be different here in the Southern hemisphere. White caps just start around 10kts, and are curling at 15kt. You are going to get a hard sail at 15kts and will need to reef the sail. I have a portable anemometer to measure the wind speed. I was out today, did not measure the wind speed, but would guess it was 12kts. Lots of fun.

Geoff.