Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yakaholic wrote:
Tom Ray wrote:
I got it exactly backwards. If you don't know what I did wrong at a glance, I'm not saying! ;)

The red tell goes on the port side the green one goes on the starboard side of the sail?

Do I get a prize? :lol:

Hmm.. on 2nd thought, kinda hard to figure out in the pic which side of the sail I'm looking at.

The tell should actually exit from the slit in the center of the patch to make it work better - but that is minor.

That's the ones I got from West Marine they give you like 7 red & 7 green tells with "stickeys" to attach them.

Well the little triangular window points to the front of the sail, so that would mean the starboard (right) side of the sail is facing up and the green tell is on the right (correct) side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Yakaholic wrote:
Tom Ray wrote:
I got it exactly backwards. If you don't know what I did wrong at a glance, I'm not saying! ;)

The red tell goes on the port side the green one goes on the starboard side of the sail?

Do I get a prize? :lol:

Hmm.. on 2nd thought, kinda hard to figure out in the pic which side of the sail I'm looking at.

The tell should actually exit from the slit in the center of the patch to make it work better - but that is minor.

That's the ones I got from West Marine they give you like 7 red & 7 green tells with "stickeys" to attach them.

Well the little triangular window points to the front of the sail, so that would mean the starboard (right) side of the sail is facing up and the green tell is on the right (correct) side.

Ya, it was confusing which side of the sail I was looking at - the little window points forward on both sides of the sail. More confusing because I'm used to the red/gray sail that does not even have that silly window, nor all the seams to grab the tells. Tom said "backwards" so that is what immediately lept to mind. :? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Anyway, what I said only works if the top of the sail is at the top of the photo, so I retract my comment :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yakaholic wrote:

Chris was right, and you got it on the second try, Yakaholic. I think it would not only work better if installed properly, but would also stay attached longer.

I meant that I used the slit "backwards" from how it was intended. Look close. I put the tip of the telltale back out through the slit. It would have been better not to do that.

I put them on my jib wrong too.

Oh well, at least I figured out what I was doing before I put them on my wife's sail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Pirate wrote:
chrisj wrote:
Tom Ray wrote:

Now my paddle has only one use: going backwards. I bought the telltales at West Marine.

You forgot about steering when the rudder pin breaks Tom :)

I forgot to tell you Chris since everyone got sick of rudder pin dramas that I have worked on mine and it is fixed for good....Pirate :wink: :wink:

OK, I'll bite. What'd ya do?

Sorry Chris, I missed this until I returned to Tom's picture for a another look at his tell-tales. Simply eliminated the play between the bottom hole in the rudder box the pin by the addition of a plastic bush. I don't think I will be having any pin problems and have left the partly damaged pin in with justifiable confidence... :wink: (maybe I speak too soon but will keep you informed if anything changes)...Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:

Sorry Chris, I missed this until I returned to Tom's picture for a another look at his tell-tales. Simply eliminated the play between the bottom hole in the rudder box the pin by the addition of a plastic bush. I don't think I will be having any pin problems and have left the partly damaged pin in with justifiable confidence... :wink: (maybe I speak too soon but will keep you informed if anything changes)...Pirate

Thanks Pirate -I thought maybe you had resorted to swimming around towing your boat to take the stress off the rudder pin :)