Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Comptip Question
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This past weekend, I sailed my recently purchased (used) Hobie 17 in high wind. When I went to bring the sail down, I had to actually pull it down as the top 4 inches or so of the bolt rope had pulled out of the plastic luff track. Most likely due to high mainsheet and downhaul tensions. The sail is new.

I'm fairly certain that new comptips have an aluminum section of luff track at the top foot or so- most likely to solve this problem. My mast has an all plastic luff track. My 18 has an all plastic luff track and has never had this problem.

My question is whether installing the aluminum track would solve this problem? If so, is this easy to do? I know the plastic track snaps in. Does the aluminum track also snap in, or would I have to slide it on by pulling off the mast head cap? Or, is the problem possibly caused by something else.

All suggestions welcome.
SM

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi there srm. You might search for Comptip as a keyword and see what is posted already while waiting for an answer. Just a suggestion because I THINK that someone else had the same problem last summer. Not sure. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 2:40 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I had the same problem on my 17. Most 17's have the all-plastic track. The aluminum track piece fixes the problem and is available as a retrofit.

It's not hard to install (snaps on - very tight, though). If you're at all handy, you could do it in less than a half hour.