Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Last year Hobie 14 made
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What was the last year that the Hobie 14 was produced?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:44 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

They are still being produced - in Europe.

In the US - early '90s - although the numbers dropped significantly in the late '80s.

Probably no more than a couple hundred built in the last few years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Marquis Erikson's 14 is a '93 or '94

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

J_Eaton wrote:
Marquis Erikson's 14 is a '93 or '94

I think remember him saying his is one of the very last boats made. He bought it from the US Navy, they had a handfull that were either never used, or hardly used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

According to the Hobie South Africa website, they are still building H-14s there. Hobie Brazil may still be in the H-14 business.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The Hobie 18 sailors are working on building a list of sailors that are interested in buying New 18's.

If we can get enough seriously interested buyers together we may be able to convince Hobie USA to bring in a container from Hobie AUS.

If you can get a similar list going for 14's you might be able to convince Hobie USA to bring in a batch from Hobie Europe or Hobie Brazil.

Try going to www.HC14.org and see if there is enough interest to pursue the idea.

One other thought we are working on pursuing is to get Hobie USA to put together a "package" of New Hulls, Sails, Tramp and Standing rigging.

There are so many boats sitting in storage yards and back yards that have soft hulls that could be refurbished and sailed and or raced competetivly if only we could get new hulls at a reasonable price.

With new Tigers and FX one's going at 20K or more, refurbishing a boat that already has a strong, competetive fleet all across the nation has a strong appeal for many.

If we start talking to our dealers, and the Dealers start talking to Hobie USA, we might be able to make something happen. If all we do is sit and wish, the classes we love will eventually go the way of the Dodo bird, and pretty soon we can sail anything we want as long as we want to sail a Hobie 16.

Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Really all that Hobie US would have to import is the Hulls. Everything else is made locally. I'd consider getting a 14 again if I could get a new one. My hatred for the boat is dwindling being I haven't been on one in a couple years. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Why do we have to wait for Hobie US to import a container of H-18s or 14s? If an individual or a dealer solicited enough orders, is there anything stopping them from going to Australia or Brazil, buying a bunch of boats, shipping them back to the states, and reselling them? Granted, I don't know what's in Hobie's licensing agreements or dealer contracts, but it seems to me that if I went to Brazil, bought a boat, Hobie or otherwise, and brought it back home, I could then sell my boat to anyone I wanted to. I doubt it's that simple and there may some substantial legal hurdles involved, but it I think if someone were willing to put some research into this they might be able to sell some boats.

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Speaking for myself, I have no desire to reinvent the wheel, Hobie USA already has a dealer network in place. It is a matter of can they make money doing it.

If I were to do it, I would be doing it out of a love for the boat. On the other hand, Hobie cat company has to see a way to make enough of a profit to make it worth their while.

If they could sell a few more boats, and add a few more bucks to the bottom line profits without adding a great deal of overhead to the top line, it seems to me like it might be worthwhile. Certainly worth looking at what the potential might be.

As I see it, if they did limited runs, that didn't involve tying up a lot of capitol, and a lot of expensive warehouse space, why not give it a try.

Extending the life of existing designs and increasing the sales of parts for those boats has got to be a LOT less expensive than R & D on new designs.

How about it Mr Miller, care to take a few minutes and shoot holes in our hopes and dreams for the old designs, or maybe set the bar and let us know how high we have to jump?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If anyone follows through with this idea, whether it be Hobie US, a dealer, or an individual in it for love of the old boats, please let me know. I'd seriously consider buying a new Hobie 14. I think a bunch of us old timers would line up to buy them. Among this segment of the Hobie crowd, the Wave, with all due respect, just isn't going to generate much enthusiasm. I'd love to see my daughter learning to sail on her Hobie 14.

I also like the idea of putting together packages to refurbish all those old boats rotting away in backyards and storage lots. If I could get a new set of H-14 hulls I'd buy the old clunker rotting away at our yacht club tomorrow.

H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Funny, I was just asking about the year because I saw a Hobie 14 on EBay and it said 1990 somthing. It looked like a piece of crap and I thought that the add was not acurate. And the price was too high to start with for a 14.

Amazing how this thread runs away to the import thing again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mike hensel wrote:
Amazing how this thread runs away to the import thing again.

Do you consider that a good thing or a bad thing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:58 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Matt M. has said in the past that Hobie USA no longer has the molds for the 14. They were chainsawed and dumpstered long ago. So any 14's would have to come from imports.

The quality of the Brazilian and S. African boats are a little suspect, so that leaves HCE as a source for quality 14's. The last time I heard, the cost of getting one to the US was pretty close to $10K. There are not many people willing to pay that for a new Hobie 14.

As for the other boats, HC USA did a run of 17's back in 2004. Probably no more than 20 or 30. I have one of them - but it didn't get sold (to a dealer) until 2007. It took the dealer another 6 months to sell it to me.

You can't make money on inventory that sits around for 3 years. They would have to have a significant number of orders in hand before they even thought about doing a production run.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

""The Hobie 18 sailors are working on building a list of sailors that are interested in buying New 18's.
If we can get enough seriously interested buyers together we may be able to convince Hobie USA to bring in a container from Hobie AUS.""

Why would we need Hobie US to help with this? As long as we get enough orders to fill a 25' container we just order them direct. I'm sure on a container load we could get a good price from Hobie AUS. Unless Hobie US has some kind of reciprical trade agreement that won't let Hobie AUS sell here we should be good to go. Someone has to take the bull by the horns and get prices, freight costs etc. And the most important thing is people that will pony up and commit to purchase the boat.[size=9][/size[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:29 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I think you would need Hobie USA to be on board. All Hobie sales in the USA must be directed thru the Hobie USA, there are territories.

I've been down the road with Bob Curry on getting new 14's in the states, Hobie was on board a few years ago, we needed about 30 pre paid buyers, price was about the same as a H16, pay now get boats in about 3 months.

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers