Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I guess I was thinking about the 18 not the 14, I don't think it makes any sense to spend 10 grand on a 14 when you could have a new 16 or a getaway for the same price. No one said what a new 18 would cost imported from AUS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:46 am 
Authorized Hobie Dealer

Location: 315 N. Hwy 79 Panama City Beach, FL 32413 850-235-2281
I'd guess somewhere in the tiger price range.....

http://www.sunjammers.com
www.facebook.com/sunjammers

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:04 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Roy wrote:
Why would we need Hobie US to help with this? As long as we get enough orders to fill a 25' container we just order them direct. I'm sure on a container load we could get a good price from Hobie AUS. Unless Hobie US has some kind of reciprical trade agreement that won't let Hobie AUS sell here we should be good to go.

FYI, Hobie AUS is owned by Hobie USA, so forget about your "end run".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Whether it be 14's or 18's, I don't see what legal bar there would be to an individual buying boats through an Australian dealer, loading his boats in a container, shipping his boats back home and then selling his boats. Hobie dealers may be contracually prohibited from doing that, but legally, what's stopping an enthusiastic sailor? As Brad points out, however, it may be cost prohibitive.

If Hobie takes anything away from this, it should be that there is still a great deal of enthusiasm form for their old designs. They should consider importing some or selling refurbishment kits as suggested earlier. I can't believe they would chainsaw the molds. Talk about cutting your options. :x

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:22 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

MVD, You're suggesting paying retail for a batch of 18's in Oz, incur the cost of shipping to the US and then what, sell to break even? Even so, the selling price would have to be beyond a reasonable price...unless of course YOU would be willing to put the cash down for a quantity sufficient to achieve some economies of scale and then hope to sell them within your lifetime. I'm sure Hobie USA and AU would be more than happy to sell them to you, but I believe the problem is that they just are not currently producing them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt don't get mad lol, I thought maybe Hobie US didn't care to get involved in trying to get a deal like this organized. I didn't mean to cut out the dealers if they chose to help, they are in indispensable part of the Hobie support network and we gladly give some profit to them for their support of your products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Admittedly, I'm shooting from the hip because I haven't researched importing Hobies or even thought about it until I started reading this thread, but my guess is that if someone bought a container of boats overseas they could negotiate a price below retail. If I were the importer, I wouldn't buy the first one until I had people signed up in the US to purchase them and had put down a hefty deposit. Then you are going to have trust issues: how many of you, for example, would give some guy they've only heard of on these forums several thousand dollars in advance in hopes that he'd deliver your boat in several months? Maybe some type of bank escrow account would work.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying this would be a good idea. I don't know all the facts or the issues involved. Maybe it would work. Maybe not. But discussion might lead Hobie, a dealer, or an entrepeneurial Hobie fan to research the issues involved and perhaps decide to take action. The alternative to these discussions is to sit idle and wathch our classes dwindle away.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

there is a rather lengthy discussion on www.HC18.org along these same lines.

The title of the discussion is Further News on the Production of the Hobie 18 from the Australian Front.

Part of the discussion is a posting from Steve Fields, the Big Kahuna @ Hobie AUS where he states in part that with a minimum combined order of 20 boats from AUS and USA Dealers he could schedule a run of Hobie 18's.

Projected price point is around 19 to 21K AUS Dollars which translates to about 13K USDollars. We would have to add shipping from AUS to USA to that price.

Stephen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Just an observation of our NA culture: It seems we've lost the ability to make anything here in the US. See what relying on other nations for cheaper production (of anything) has gotten us! American Greed, we want it all.

:oops: (I include myself in that group.) We need change.

:idea: I think I'll send Obama an email to see if he can some get 14 & 18s produced in the new stimulus package. :roll:

1982 H18
[email protected]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hell, may as well pork up your order with some 17's and 20's while you're at it. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Just an observation of our NA culture: It seems we've lost the ability to make anything here in the US. See what relying on other nations for cheaper production (of anything) has gotten us! American Greed, we want it all

What does this have to do with outsourcing to overseas manufacturing? Hobie USA made all of these boats domestically in the past. People eventually stopped buying them here, so Hobie stopped making them. Hobie USA still makes the boats that people actually buy in the US. It's an issue of supply vs. demand.

sm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

And as a reminder, making hulls is not the only issue. The other problem is the specialized extrusions needed for crossbars. Matt has posted detailed information along those lines before.

IIRC, minimum orders on extrusion is measured in thousands of feet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A local power boat manufacture Tiara Yachts has looked at making a limited run of a model of a sailboat that they used to make. (recent Sailing World, S2 7.9). I know a engineer over there who told me the price of boat (bill of materials & labor) minus sails and trailer. You can buy them used on a trailer with sails for about 10 - 15 K.

The question the engineer asked me is why would you by a 30 year old design when the newer model sailboats are better and faster. Are you willing to spend 4 -5 times the amount of a used one?

With all that said I love my Hobie 18. New hulls, how much? Are you willing to pay the price that is in the catalog if they were available?

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

srm wrote:
What does this have to do with outsourcing to overseas manufacturing? Hobie USA made all of these boats domestically in the past. People eventually stopped buying them here, so Hobie stopped making them. Hobie USA still makes the boats that people actually buy in the US. It's an issue of supply vs. demand.

sm

gggeeeessss, lighten up. :D It was just an attempt at a little humor...i see you didn't get it.

regards,
Clint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Do ya suppose ...................

We can get any tax credits for our NEW boats that run on 100% renewable energy ?

There must be SOMETHING in that 700 bage bill the President will be signing here in Denver tomorrow.

Who is up for reading 700 pages of "fine print"