Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Warped Rudder
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone else had a rudder warp. Mine warped at the tie down point where the budgie holds it down to the haul (when the rudder is in the stowed position.) Last summer the AI did not get allot of use. It stayed in a warm garage in NC. The rudder is not twisted but has a definite curve. I have warmed it with a heat gun and it is now sitting on a flat surface with a bunch of heavy books on top. The rudder was still usable. I can't notice any drag. I sailed out into the Chesapeake Bay a couple of weekends ago without any problems. I hope my fix works, If not, I'll just commit to order a new rudder every couple of years as maintenance. :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:49 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Glen, I've done a bit of experimenting with Hobie's large rudder. Here's a sample:

They seem to come with varying amounts of warp right from the factory, which I guess must be a result of the molding process. This is typically most noticeable on the trailing edge. This doesn't seem to be of any concern to Hobie and it doesn't appear to be an operational problem.

Nevertheless, if you want to put less pressure on your stowed rudder, simply put half of your bungee over the top and the other half underneath, reducing the pressure by half. You can remove additional pressure by pulling slack onto the top half as you stow. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks, that a great idea! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:05 am 
Site Rank - Captain

One of the first things I noticed after taking delivery of my AI was that when the rudder was bungeed down, the tip pressed against the body of the boat causing the rudder to warp slightly. I figured this would cause the rudder to warp permanently if left in this condition for long periods, especially in very warm weather. So I began then to place something directly under the rudder where the bungee wraps around it. A small stick or even a wadded piece of paper will do. So now I don't expect to have this problem of warping.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I release ALL bungees when the boats go under the house, and only attach them when the boats come out for use.